BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
for a start off there should be NO wires cut going to motor , RECONNECT, I presume from my drawing it changes the polarity to reverse motor? , by the way what car is yours? and did you cut the wire?. and when you reconnect try to press down on drivers switch to see if it goes down. should be 6 cables to motor also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes you are right it should change polarity but it does not .so it was cut to see if it works that way (with a power probe ), which it does. All wires were attached before and it still did not work . The wire that has been cut is the suspect. As it dont change polarity

·
Registered
55 Posts
yes but it was there originally for that purpose so you have to think why? and try to trace back from that cable , i reckon to a relay thats faulty or a transistor, listen for the relay that clicks when operating UP, it could be that or there should be another relay as it goes UPand DOWN FROM DRIVERS SWITCH ALSO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
YOU SEE IF YOU START CUTTING WIRES YOU ARE GOING TO FORGET WHERE YOU ARE ON THAT CIRCUIT,are all 6 cables going to motor ,COULD YOU TELL ME WHICH CAR IT IS AND YEAR ,because my wiring does not match your colours cheers,

·
Registered
55 Posts
in the roof of the glovebox compartment on mine there isWINDOWS LIFT FUSE NUMBER 29 HAVE YOU CHECKED THAT?

·
Registered
55 Posts
oh i say pal i forgot to tell you THERE IS NO LIVES AT SWITCH THE CENTER ONE IS EARTH AND WHEN YOU SWITCH FOR UP OR DOWN IT EARTHS THE RELAY COILS EITHER WAY.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tell you what are kid there is a geat drawing on POWER WINDOW CIRCUIT DIAGRAM , SO EASY TO FOLLOW TO REWIRE NEW , ITS IN COLOUR 2 NEW RELAYS YOURE AWAY, JOHN.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
tell you what are kid there is a geat drawing on POWER WINDOW CIRCUIT DIAGRAM , SO EASY TO FOLLOW TO REWIRE NEW , ITS IN COLOUR 2 NEW RELAYS YOURE AWAY, JOHN.
Sorry for the late reply I've been so busy lately and have hardly any sleep !
Where can I see the wiring diagram. Also I loose the wiring once it goes into the pillar.i have checked fuses and they seem to be fine .mine is a 325i 2008

·
Registered
55 Posts
just type in power window circuit diagram on any google etc and the simple circuits come up , easy to tewire with2 relays 2 new fused circuits just follow the coloured circuit drawing and you will have your passenger window back working , JUST MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT ORIGINAL CABLES IN DOOR AND TAPE UP honest its a fairly simple circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
just type in power window circuit diagram on any google etc and the simple circuits come up , easy to tewire with2 relays 2 new fused circuits just follow the coloured circuit drawing and you will have your passenger window back working , JUST MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT ORIGINAL CABLES IN DOOR AND TAPE UP honest its a fairly simple circuit.
Thanks I will Google it now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I Googled the 'power window diagram ' couldn't find one for the e90 but made sense of it (I think) each switch should have two relays to it? One for up and one for down? If that's the case I will try and locate them but how do i know If they are working is there a test I can do using a multimeter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The relay is fine as I can hear it clicking when pressing down on it and I know it operates when pushing up . I'm stumped at what else it could be !?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, firstly I hope this is the right place to put this. I have had a look and cant seem to find anything on here or on the net that is the same problem as mine.
The problem i am having is that the window wouldnt go down ..
So I took out the window motor and pressed the switch for up and it works but for going down it dont.
So I bought a second hand motor and it does the exact same thing.when i press down i hear a click from the main controls on the driver side. I have used a different switch from the rear and yet again it does the same. Goes up bit dont go down..

Has anyone experienced this or knows what it could be ??
Thanks in advance as this is driving me nuts
What model and what year? Most newer BMW say like 1996 up have a body control module or (bcm) that is the actual module that controls the power going to the power window motor and from what you are saying in the post the original motor is fine and you already eliminated the possibility of a faulty switch so your next possibility is a bad bcm. Think of it as a relay that is triggered by the switch if the relay has a defective contact then the motor won’t see voltage to go down. Hope this helps. By the way if you have a scan tool with bi-directional capabilities you can easily diagnose this without any other tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jsu
The relay is fine as I can hear it clicking when pressing down on it and I know it operates when pushing up . I'm stumped at what else it could be !?!
just because a relay clicks doesn’t mean it’s fine. You generally have 5 legs to a relay 85 & 86 thes two are your electromagnetic coil which gets activated by the switch so one of these will have power when activated by the switch and the other will have ground then you have 30, 87a, and 87 and depending on whether the relay is activated or not is where power will be coming out of. Generally in a polarity reversal system such as power windows there is a very specific way to wire these but if memory serves me right 30 always goes to battery positive and it will switch to pin 87 when activated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What model and what year? Most newer BMW say like 1996 up have a body control module or (bcm) that is the actual module that controls the power going to the power window motor and from what you are saying in the post the original motor is fine and you already eliminated the possibility of a faulty switch so your next possibility is a bad bcm. Think of it as a relay that is triggered by the switch if the relay has a defective contact then the motor won’t see voltage to go down. Hope this helps. By the way if you have a scan tool with bi-directional capabilities you can easily diagnose this without any other tools.
Ita a 2008 325i. We have tried a diagnostic tool and it didnt help . So I guess I will locate the relays and switch them over .do you know where they are located to help me save time searching on the net ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
have you not got a mate who is an electrician? because he would follow that diagram easy to rewire you a new circuit, 2 fuses 2 new relays off ebay and some cable and use original switch , and by pass drivers switch to make it even simpler, honest you look again it comes up everytime POWER WINDOWS CIRCUIT DIAGRAM IN COLOUR, WIRE UP COMPLETELY FROM THAT, CHEERS JOHN.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
have you not got a mate who is an electrician? because he would follow that diagram easy to rewire you a new circuit, 2 fuses 2 new relays off ebay and some cable and use original switch , and by pass drivers switch to make it even simpler, honest you look again it comes up everytime POWER WINDOWS CIRCUIT DIAGRAM IN COLOUR, WIRE UP COMPLETELY FROM THAT, CHEERS JOHN.
Unfortunately not ..I will look again as I only typed in 'power window diagram last time ' thank you .if i cant sort it out this time i will just give up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ita a 2008 325i. We have tried a diagnostic tool and it didnt help . So I guess I will locate the relays and switch them over .do you know where they are located to help me save time searching on the net ?
Sorry I do not but you say you can hear them click so just keep doing it until you get to them. Good luck.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts