BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on here and it's a bit of an essay, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bought my (second) 2nd hand F20 120d Sport back in January - 25,000 miles Dec 2011 reg. About a month ago I was driving and both front electric windows started playing up: they seemed to 'forget' where the upper and lower limits were. Using the auto-up/down feature would cause them to stop half way or return back up/down once they had opened or closed. I eventually managed to get them closed by persisting with the manual (first stage click) window controls.

According to its MOT history the car hadn't done many miles at all in the year before I bought it and when viewing the first time the low battery warning message was present. Therefore, assuming it was a software/reset thing, I had BMW take a look when it was in for a service. £100 later they've apparently tried all the diagnostics in the book and seemingly disconnected the battery at some point to no avail. They tell me next on the list of things to try is to replace the motors.

Leaving with a slightly sour taste in the mouth I took to Google and found loads of threads about re-teaching your electric windows their upper and lower limits, frequently in similar situations as mine (post-flat/disconnected battery). About an hour later I've managed to fix the passenger side using these techniques but 'break' the drivers side - doesn't move at all but luckily failed in the closed position!

At this point I should mention I've got a 3rd party warranty (warrantywise) who understandably suspected I was pulling a fast one; having received a request for two electric window motors within a few weeks of taking out the policy. They offered to pay for one, which given that I'd managed to fix one would cover the proposed repair cost. Yesterday however the passenger side started playing up again and with trying to reset it it's gone just like the driver side - won't move at all. Both windows now make a single clicking sound when I pull the button as if to wind them up, like the motor or whatever is trying to do something. Depressing the buttons to wind down gives me nothing (movement, sound etc.). Using the passenger door controls gives no different.

So basically I'm at a loose end with where to go from here:
- Main dealer are insisting on following the diagnosis/repair procedure as prescribed by BMW: replace part a, if that doesn't work replace part b etc. Bend customer over and empty his wallet repeatedly.
- Warranty company don't have bottomless pockets so will probably kick up a fuss if changing the motors doesn't work. I've got enough of an uphill battle getting them to fund both window repairs.
- The fact they both failed at the same time with the same symptoms is telling me surely it's a part that is shared by both windows, but BMW know better. The fact I managed to get one working myself when they were unable to really doesn't fill me with much confidence in their abilities!
- Really disappointing that there's been no mention of any help from BMW in terms of goodwill given the car's age, mileage and full main dealer service history. Not very impressed with Sandal Huddersfield generally from my last 3 visits, especially compared with Sytner Nottingham where I used to go. Perhaps I played the 3rd party warranty card a bit early though.

Car's booked in for a couple of weeks' time to get motor replaced on driver's side but, pending advice on here, I might tell them to shove it.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
There are generic auto electricians - I keep thinking of them as there's a Bosch centre I keep passing local to me, normal dealers would go down the 'take part A out, replace, take part B out, replace' until they have spent all of your money, somewhere like a Bosch centre might be better on the diagnostics front, a halfway between the two might a decent BMW Indy, again I'm lucky as that's what I use, the guys in there tend to be enthusiasts and have a shedload of knowledge based on experience.

OR

Find the wiring diagram and see if there's a common fail point :)

OR

Give up and use the aircon :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts