BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an e90 318d m sport with 114000 miles
Cars had one owner from new im now second and oil been changed at 8000 miles every year
Nothing showing for timing Chain, clutch, any suspension work etc tyres are good and brakes are good drives nice! I’m currently driving 700 miles a week and my question is
Is it worth me spending out money on this car or shall I look for something with less miles and more has been done to it?
they reliable for high mileage?
Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
E91 320D M42TU2 2006 Manual
316 Posts
Do you mean for tires and oil? Maybe say what engine & year the car is. The mileage is low for the year what ever that is. If on the original dual mas, clutch, brakes, shocks, springs etc. It depend how much you like the car. The price of fuel and repair today only you can decide. Are you able to do the work yourself? Do you have BMW software specific code reader?

Anyone who drives a 15 year old BMW that can not fix it them selves should not have one.

To answer you they are vey reliable when maintained. 114k car with nothing ever done on it? I think you purchased it for a reason and it will not cheap if its original.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
So long as serviced regular and things are kept on top of they will go on for a long time. My advice would be do timing chain,clutch at same time and then service it every 8-10k or 12 months.
You could get a low mileage car that decides to shit itself,just because it has lower miles doesn’t mean it will be without issues.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Well maintained they are reliable...
...but - things will need replacing and some things aren't cheep
DMF & clutch - £700
Battery (AGM) £125+
Crank damper pully £100+fitting
Shocks

I'd advise cleaning your inlet manifold out too - it will be full of soot and gunk from the EGR and then have the EGR mapped out

:)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's all been said ... ;)

I'd say yes .. I bought an E46 320 CD 55 plate on 112k in March 2020 just as Covid shat on us all. It's now on 126k+ and has needed a new radiator and expansion tank, A/C condensor and a pair of front suspension bushes (work done at local garage for £140 I think). I've just done the front brake discs and pads as a complete set, including the passenger side caliper replacement. Total parts not including garage bill, in 2 years comes to probably £500, disregarding consumables like oil and coolant etc which after running Landrovers is very, very cheap!!!

Currently returning 51.4 mpg (Last week, £98.11 fill-up ...) Averages about 43+ mpg 'cos it's mostly short commutes <12 miles each way, but we did a longer trip a couple of weeks ago and were seeing 58+ mpg on the 'instant' fuel meter .. mostly a guide, and usually over what you're actually doing!

It's also had a battery and new tyres/change of wheels, not 'cos they needed it (I still have old wheels and tyres) but 'cos I wanted to and I count them as consumables anyway.

I expect within another two years to probably need to change the clutch and DMF and 'some' belts and pulleys ... Which I will do and probably anything else that comes up. I love the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts