BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Franklin M50/M52/M44/M42 timing/vanos tools, forum rental possibility

Rental idea now but can't edit the title for some reason.
BIG EDIT:
Original idea was about a group buy but that got precisely zero interest :hihi so the next thing I want to ask is this...

Hi guys (and mods, please let me know if this is against any forum rules)

As I'm sure a lot of you are aware, e36's (or any BMW's that use the above engines) are starting to get on a bit now and need work that requires certain tools.
Vanos seals are something that is no longer an M3 only problem, there are a few members on here who've already performed the work.

I should be getting a set of Franklin TA414 vanos/timing tools soon and was wondering who might be interested if I was to rent them out to respected forum members?
I'm looking to get some use out of them on my car but when I'm done I'd like to try and recoup some money if possible. My initial idea was to rent them out to forum members (at my discretion) for a small fee, some of which would get donated to the forum. It would be on a 'you break it you buy it' policy where I would get a returnable deposit.

Is this within forum rules?
and potentially how many people would be interested?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump with a difference.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woop :D

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
you dont need any of that to do the vanos seals, thats only for if the head is coming off or cam shaft/timing chain work...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Um, yeah you do :confused
You need to be able to rotate the cam sprockets to remove and re-fit the vanos, also need to lock the cams to undo the sprocket bolts and rotate the secondary chain without moving the cams.

These aren't for the M54 engines, which you'd be correct in saying you don't need any special tools to replace the vanos seals on :thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Um, yeah you do :confused
You need to be able to rotate the cam sprockets to remove and re-fit the vanos, also need to lock the cams to undo the sprocket bolts and rotate the secondary chain without moving the cams.

These aren't for the M54 engines, which you'd be correct in saying you don't need any special tools to replace the vanos seals on :thumbsup
forgive my ignorance dude...

but ya did put M52 engine in ya post and they are the same as the M54 engine arnt they?..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M52 is the 2.3 and 2.8 used in the later e36's and early e39's. Then there's the M52TU which has double vanos and is very similar to the M54.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would have a use for "renting" in the summer on an M42. Had been looking at them myself but had been put off by the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Sphinx.
Yes, I would definately also be interested in the chance of hiring these tools. :hihi
I bought the seal kit, from Beisan USA, months ago! But was so far put off by the price of the toolkit..
Have you decided what you are gonna do? And the kind of costs we'd be looking at? Cheers Pal..

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Tom - I would be more interested in you doing mine for a small fee... You use it and I pay the small fee :hihi No travel costs included (You use it (Fuel) - you pay for it :lol)

I like the idea of renting! But me doing it myself - I would break something :hihi

Good luck with it mate! Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I know of a couple more forum members that would gladly rent the tools to do their Vanos work on their M50/M52 engines :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts