BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have found out if you have a pre 1996 e36 and fit late instruments you have a problem with the ABS warning lamp permanently illuminated. IIRC the later instruments have a coding block in the back. I had this problem but took out the bulb, which was no good come MOT time...:hihi

BMW do a wiring kit to resolve this issue. Here are the guides on removing the cluster.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...uments-removal-upgrade-procedure-with-t61303/
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-remove-e36-instrument-pod-non-airbag-t26348/

I fitted the wiring mod yesterday and now the ABS lamp works as it should...:thumbsup

Here is a late cluster fitted to my 1992 E36, the ABS lamp is constantly lit, even though there is no ABS fault.

Here is the kit and instructions as supplied by BMW

Next remove all the cluster plugs and take the blue connector apart to leave the bare plug block.

Next insert the supplied wiring connector into pin 21, make sure the new connector is the correct way up otherwise it will not lock into the plug block.

Then connect the new wire to the brown/orange wire on the white plug. Then crimp the wires into the BMW approved connector (Posh scotch lock..:sarcastic)

Then reconnect the plugs into the rear of the cluster and test. Now the ABS warning works as it should and no more trouble MOT time...:thumbsup

The repair section from BMW is around £6 + Vat and the part number is 61128374946.

Ta for looking...:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have the same cluster as the one on your car. Its for my M3 engine conversion. My M3 engine is off a 1994 car so that is OBDI. But I am not sure about the cluster. And I do have the ABS light on all the time.

I would love to have the same problem as you so that means the wiring work may solve the problem. But after scanning the car I am getting some ABS fault codes. So do you think this is cluster problem or actual ABS issue? Thanks.

Alex

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Steve,

I have the same cluster as the one on your car. Its for my M3 engine conversion. My M3 engine is off a 1994 car so that is OBDI. But I am not sure about the cluster. And I do have the ABS light on all the time.

I would love to have the same problem as you so that means the wiring work may solve the problem. But after scanning the car I am getting some ABS fault codes. So do you think this is cluster problem or actual ABS issue? Thanks.

Alex
Hi Alex, on the back of the instument pod there should be a date stamp, if you can post that up that would be good. I scanned my ABS when I had the light issue but it didnt bring up any codes so I think you wiould have to sort the ABS issues first mate....:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks for the guide and the info, Steve! This is something that has always bothered me, but never got the solution for! :thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.