BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody had fitted an E36 4 cylinder engine into an E46 before? The engine on my E46 316 (1.9) has blown and I am trying to source a replacement one.

Any help much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It can be done but the wiring is different, Slacker Ray is a good man to talk to on this :thumbsup

He will be along once he has finished with his TV show :D
(private joke, don't worry SEM)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the replies!

I'll give those links a try to source the engine, thanks :)

So I'm assuming that as long as the block and the head are the same at very least, you could use that and just fit the E46 sensors/inlet/exhaust and wiring loom to it and it would be ok?..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cheers for the replies!

I'll give those links a try to source the engine, thanks :)

So I'm assuming that as long as the block and the head are the same at very least, you could use that and just fit the E46 sensors/inlet/exhaust and wiring loom to it and it would be ok?..

NO.........dont do it mate....I've seen many ****-up conversions especially on the early E46 1.9's......why? because a M43TU (which is what you've got) 2nd hand goes for around 800-900 squids, a E36 M43 1.9 engine goes for between 100-300 squids....people opt for the cheaper engine hoping to get it to fit...or believe it or not some garages get the wrong M43 engine and try to bodge it in..........they never run right dude.

firstly, the sensors are different the M43 TU runs on 2 knock sensors and the crankshaft sensor is on the other side of the block (flywheel end) the M43 has less sensors and the crankshaft sensor is on the front of the engine.......I've seen some real bodges where the garage's have butchered the cars harness to try and bodge it on the M43........your car's ECU and emision control is not meant to run on the early M43's and you will have serious emision and running problems.

secondly, the M43TU has a different block mate.......it has an intermediate balancer shaft whereas the M43 does not.

I bet your engine has had bottom end failure?? the M43TU's are prone to knocking out the shells and/or balancer shaft failure.

My advice.........bite the bullet, get a good 2nd hand M43TU engine and drop it straight in........when you are hunting for an engine make sure the engine numbers match up yours will be a 194E1.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It can be done but the wiring is different, Slacker Ray is a good man to talk to on this :thumbsup

He will be along once he has finished with his TV show :D
(private joke, don't worry SEM)

Tv show????...............don't hate me 'cause you ain't me:hihi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts