BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all

I commented on another thread that i needed to replace a split cv boot on my 840. So i decided to crack on with it and take a couple of photos along the way.

Not a hard job ...... but messy and I'd definitely had enough of rolling around on the floor by the end of the day.

First.... up on the axle stands.

[/url]Bmw E31 CV Boots by Andy Fearn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Note the impact gun...... makes the job a lot easier with rusty 20 year old axle nuts.

I started by loosening the 6 e12 male torx flange bolts ..... i spent a bit of time with wd40, brake clean and a wire brush to clean them up before attempting to undo them. If you round these suckers off the day will turn to mud very quickly. Again my mini impact did the job without fuss.

Next up was to unstake the 36 mm 12 point axle nut...... then give it the beans with the 1/2 inch impact. I'm guessing a long breaker would be needed if you dont have impact tools.

I left the nut on a few turns and gave it a few taps with the hammer and luckily the axle came out of the hub no problem.........

At this point i thought i was flying but......... no matter how much i moved the half shaft around i couldn't get it passed the exhaust :(

The exhaust had to come off...... Luckily i had a longlife system fitted a couple of years ago.... so all the fixing and claps were in good condition. ..... unluckily it was a fully welded cat back system (i should have asked them to fabricate a more easily disassemble set up)

I really needed a second person to get this exhaust off but got there finally ..... one of my other money pits under the old bed sheet.... handy for proping up e31 exhausts.

With that outta way the half shaft came out easy.

Disassembly of the inner boot is fairly straightforward. .... tap the end cap off (be gentle with the end cap i needed to reuse mine)..... clean away the mess.... remove the circlip ..... remove boot clip.... and the whole lot slides off.

This description is a lot better than mine

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1398300-DIY-Inner-CV-Joint-R-amp-R-with-new-Redline-CV2-Grease

The outer joint is not removable. so i cleaned mine in a bucket of petrol before re greasing the whole lot with cv grease.

Here's a few picks of 20 year and 140k miles cv grease......

Ball bearings and cage ready for re greasing

Cleaning the outer joint took ages...... i just kept filling it up with petrol working it around until most of the old sludge and grease had gone.

Ok this is where it gets a bit lite on photos...... re packing both joints with moly cv grease is a messy job and both me and my camera got covered.

Here's a shot of everything back together

Now heres the problem. ... the new pattern inner joint cap wouldn't fit into the differential mounting cup..... so a lot of messing about later i used the old one.

you can cleary see the difference here...... old one on the right

heres a link to the part i bought off ebay.... the cross reference part numbers match but it just doesn't fit....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202140415205

There are a few other after market jobs on ebay that look more like the original. .... might fit but who knows....... remember the oem bmw part is best part of 80 quid.... so i think its worth a gamble.

These gkn units look more like the original but i cant find a uk seller

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/170768048581

Also the the cv boot clips that come with these kits are utter junk...... next time I'll buy some genuine Jubilee cv clips.

Any hows with the old end cap cleaned and straightened out...... i offered the half shaft back into its home.

Run in the torx bolts to the diff flange and torque down the new axle nut..... to setting of 5 on the impact gun :) lol ..... my torque wrench only goes up to 200nm and it clicked at that so should be ok.

By this point i was running out of steam so left the exhaust bench press until the following morning...... to be fair it went back fairly easy.

I really should have done the other side but the boots were in ok condition ..... also i didn't have the parts and as a daily driver it needed to be back in service.

Obviously a 2 post lift would make this job a lot easier and a professional mechanic would have this job done in no time...... but wheres the fun in that.

If your doing this on the ground like me i highly recommend 4 cans of lager n a couple of co-codamols to take the edge off the aches n pains after ?

Ferni

1 - 2 of 2 Posts