BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've seen a few threads on here of various people looking at new cars.

And the replies have been great, some members have really helped out and posted good adverts!

I'm looking at buying a new car. I am really struggling to find anything in my category I like other than a BMW.

Criteria is as follows;

Registered 2000 +
100,000miles max, dependant on example may be flexible to 120k ish etc
Budget is c£3k

Been looking at E46 Coupes SE / Sport and 5 Series Sport.

Don't want a big petrol guzzler. And due to insurance the biggest I could accomodate is 323 Ci etc.

Maybe look at diesels too but would need to have a think on age etc

But you'd be surprised - I could insure a 330d Sport for a reasonable price.

Long tax and test are desirable.

Be great if someone could help :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well you can rule out a 330D Sport, or indeed a standard 330d for £3k for a start.
Not really sure on the insurance you've been quoted, I'd never rule out anything over a certain CC due to insurance as they're a funny bunch. CC means nothing really compared to all the other factors so ring around and get some quotes on somethin like a 328i.
For an affordable e46 coupe I'd go for something like a 328i or 325i, anything smaller is a bit weedy in such a heavy car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd never rule out anything over a certain CC due to insurance as they're a funny bunch. CC means nothing really compared to all the other factors so ring around and get some quotes on somethin like a 328i.
For an affordable e46 coupe I'd go for something like a 328i or 325i, anything smaller is a bit weedy in such a heavy car.
Agreed. My insurance was over £300 cheaper on an e65 745i than an e38 740i sport despite the fact that the e65 is 50bhp higher and nearly a second quicker 0-60.
They said it was because the biggest factor in working out insurance these days is the crash history of a particular model and not because the other has sport in the name:thumbsup

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I'm not expecting a 330d for that budget :hihi

Was just saying insurance can and sometimes usually is less on cars you wouldnt expect it to be!

Definitely agree with the crash history statement, I've found out the same :thumbsup

Tbh I was looking at the 320Ci, I'm not that interested in performance for now. I have a motorbike for my fun. I want something which won't make the petrol station become my second home!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year and mileage etc was that Ian? :thumbsup

Completely unrelated and i'm bracing for the response i'll get here bearing in mind it's a BMW entushiast forum, but anyone got experience with Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X/similiar spec?

TIA

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Completely unrelated and i'm bracing for the response i'll get here bearing in mind it's a BMW entushiast forum, but anyone got experience with Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X/similiar spec?

TIA
new Mondeo is ok a great allround but doesnt have that spark, you drive it because you have to. gives no bit where it says drive me for a fun time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X is a great car with great spec.
If you've got a bike then fair enough, you'll probably be happy a nice e46 318i coupe but annoyingly the smaller engined ones seem to fetch around the same as the bigger engined models. People are afraid of big engines so the cars sell for less, and they normally come with more spec as standard.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Check the last post on page 2 Neal ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X is a great car with great spec.
If you've got a bike then fair enough, you'll probably be happy a nice e46 318i coupe but annoyingly the smaller engined ones seem to fetch around the same as the bigger engined models. People are afraid of big engines so the cars sell for less, and they normally come with more spec as standard.
I have seen a well specced example. 86k on the clock full service history. Asking price of £5800 ono but it has some nice alloys, dark lights and dvd's in headrest aswell as standard fitted extras. Would you say that price is fair? Any major issues to be aware of with these?

Tbh I am more interested in an E46 coupe if I can find the right one. I won't to avoid the 318Ci, I've heard bad stuff about the 16v N42 and the 8v will just be too sluggish. 320Ci seems good, but as you say some of the bigger engined models go for a good price - I think it depends whats about etc.
Doh - thanks. Post deleted.
What did I miss? :hihi

·
Administrator
4,203 Posts
2000 330CI with just over 100k on it. Newish tyres on it, recent rad and waterpump. Only problem was a bit of rust on one of the front wings - other side was recently done. Even had a spare wing. It was a lot of car for the money.

Ian

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks mate.

I've still been looking on eBay e.t.c - seen a 520 SE, a 525 Sport, and 320Ci Sport I got my eye on.

Apart from that there doesn't seem to be much appealing to me!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Def worth a drive to tell which one you prefer more. I had an e46 320i SE - and to be honest it wasn't my cup of tea plus I feel now having had an e39 the build quality is far superior.

One word of advice if you are considering going for a 525 - I'd say go for the 530 as I wish I had that little bit (well c40 bhp) more power for only 1 more insurance group.

Overall I'd look at it like the e39 is a great cruiser, whereas the e46 is very easy on the eye - niether is a bad choice overall. :thumbsup

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah. I'd be doing minimum 40miles a day for work. I'd also want to put premium petrol in a V8 - think it may get a little costly :hihi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts