BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E61 520d.

Hi, off on holiday, (Cornwall - Newquay) and something wrong with the car. So I'm currently stressing!

Took the car out earlier, and was going downhill, around 60mph, noticed when braking I had a bit of a shudder/shake in steering wheel.

My first thought was pads, but there's no scoring on discs, and no scraping/grinding noise.

Though, the discs were hot to touch. Not red, no smells, or obvious burning. So unsure if it's hot due to weather/normal wear?

Outer part of pads have meat, though the rears look as if they could do with changing soon.

Tried to ring around some garages, noone wants to know on a Sunday. I have the possibility of a mobile mechanic coming tomorrow afternoon.

Spoke to mechanic on the phone, he said he doesn't think it's the brakes, maybe a ball joint, or steering arm?

I'm unsure if I'm being super paranoid now though, as I risked driving it back and didn't notice any shudder! But being in my state of now paranoia/stress mode I don't know if the braking is off, or I'm just imagining problems.

Any ideas before I go insane? Or before I set the thing alight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had that shudder issue once, which was corrected by changing brake fluid. Basically, what happened was we replaced brake disks and pads, and while doing this, we opened the brake fluid reservoir. I believe some air got in the system and we didn't blow it off, so after replacing those parts, the car would vibrate anytime I pressed the brake pedal. I had no doubts it was because of air, and because a brake fluid change was long overdue, I figured it was about time to do it.

But since it doesn't seem you have replaced any brake parts recently and it happened all of a sudden, I can't guarantee this will be same fix for your case.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Seconded. You might have a sticky piston causing the caliper to bind slightly. Drop the calipers off and go through with a good dose of brake cleaner just to clear out any buildup of dust.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The discs could be warped was my first thought.
Won't be a problem other than the shudder/shake in steering wheel.
It will be ok to drive.
I know someone that drove a car for 3 years like that ......my sister tight cow waited till it needed pads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, in a few hours I'll finally be able to find out what it is as the mechanic is due around 12-1ish.

Unfortunately I'm not able to take a look myself as I'm somewhat unprepared here in the tool dept. And just need to know its going to be alright, as I've got my kids with me too.

If it is a sticky caliper, is this likely to cost the earth for a mobile mechanic to sort? I've never used one before so I've no idea on their costs, or costs down this way in general! ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also looked at the possibility of control arm bushes, is this something likely? Or am I looking too much into it?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Your mechanic should be able to tell you if you need anything like new bushes. Downside is that he's is unlikely to come equipped with spares so you could be looking at a second visit.
A quick call to your local ECP or MPD store (they have a branch in Salisbury) might allow you to source the parts same day if you are lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the verdict is in.

Important fix now - Track Rod End.

Jobs to do;
Control arm on one side
Rear rose bushes (squeaking)
Discs and pads could do with changing
Couple of tires.

He's coming back Thurs to do the track rod end, cost of £30 for the part, £50 labour assuming it comes off ok. Says if I take it steady I'll be fine to drive until then, but being mobile he won't be able to track it.
I've got the tracking done by kwik fit not long ago and paid the extra to have it redone for 2 years, so I can take it back in for re-alignment.

So, what's the rest likely to cost me? Some of it sounds expensive? ?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
do both sides of control arms..have a look at febi from buycarparts.co.uk..ive got control arms/drop links and radius arms ready to fit to when they need doing.ought in haste but but kept them as they wouldmneed doing in future..i paid around £70-£80 for 2 control arms if memory serves me right,,and my indy would charge around £40-£50 to fit..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts