BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning everybody.

Last days I had a major failure to my E60 520D 120kW (M47N2) 161000 km mileage about DPF clogged and backpressure too high. While trying to solve the problem I did a bit of maintenance:

1. I've cleaned EGR valve
2. I've cleaned Throttle body
3. I've deeply cleaned DPF
4. I've deeply cleaned Catalizer (and their sensors ... may be not a good idea...)
5. I've changed the glowplugs and the associated controller
6. I've changed filters (air, oil) and liquids

At restart I had just one failure to DDE : 004B10: Smooth running controller - Correction quantity too high. The car runs quite smoothly even if I have some motor roughness around 2000 rpm.

In the meanwhile I also purchased a bottle of BMW DPF cleaner and went for a regeneration trip by forcing it with ISTA D...

Nothing has changed so far.

I did a reset of MAF and mean quantity adaptations, with no effect. Back pressure test is OK. I've run the test for injectors and I overtake the limit (too high) on cylinder 2 at aroud 2000 rpm. The injectors are still the OEM original ones and their codes stored in the DDE ECU are correct.

I've also tryed to perform the exhaust gas recirculation test with ISTA, and I see the EGR opening with charge air pipe disconnected from throttle body, unfortunately during procedure, as soon a the EGR opens (at idle), the motor stalls and I have smoke coming out from EGR assembly...

I don't know if there is something more to try...do I have to replace injectors? I definitely would like to get rid of the 4B10 failure and the associated roughness at 2000 rpm...

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Marco

·
Registered
120 Posts
Silly I know but did you change any vacuum pipes they are a known fault over time and cause all sorts of problems causing you to look else where .
Simple things first also not costly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly I know but did you change any vacuum pipes they are a known fault over time and cause all sorts of problems causing you to look else where .
Simple things first also not costly.
Hi and thanks for your reply. Finally I have something suggested to think about...Answering to your question, no, I did not change any vacuum line, however I had to disconnect and re-connect some of them while dismantling EGR and intake manifold. During the process I had to cut the end of some lines since they got ruined while disconnecting them.

I'll double check if there something weird about those lines.

Thanx.

Marco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning.

A little update about my issue. I've checked the vacuum lines and they seem OK. No cracks or visible damage.

I still have the problem (at about 2000 rpm) rough running, and DDE logs the failure (004B10: Smooth running controller) from time to time.

I've ordered a Bahrdal injector cleaner fluid and I'll give a try as soon as it arrives. In the meanwhile I'm open to receive other possible suggestions.

Cheers.

Marco

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Smooth running control code comes if injector correctional values go over limits. You said you had done injector test. What where the correctional values on idle and on about 1500 RPM?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there. You are right. I have correction too high @ 2000 RPM on cylinder 2. Correction is about +5,3. (maximum limit is +5). I've done the test some day ago, I don't remember values @ idle, all I remember is that @ idle they were correct.

Cheers.

Marco

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Hi there. You are right. I have correction too high @ 2000 RPM on cylinder 2. Correction is about +5,3. (maximum limit is +5). I've done the test some day ago, I don't remember values @ idle, all I remember is that @ idle they were correct.
Then that Nr.2 injector needs to be replaced or reconditioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there Clavurion.

Yes, I suspected I have to change the injector, however since it is an expensive repair, it was woth to ask for hints before facing a 250euro repair...

Also what sonds a bit weird to me is that this symptom arised after my "maintenance session"....I did not experienced any roughness at 2000 rpm before...

Thanks a lot.

Marco

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Also what sonds a bit weird to me is that this symptom arised after my "maintenance session"....I did not experienced any roughness at 2000 rpm before...
More likely just coincidence. Though high correctional value can also be caused by poor compression on that cylinder. So the only done maintenance task that could have any effect is the glow plug renewal. And it would mean that the glow plug is left loose or when removed a larger soot particle dropped in the cylinder and ended up between one of valves. Both cases unlikely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Clavurion. So your suggestion remains to change injector nr. 2? Will the injector cleaner fluid (arrived today) contribute to possibly clean the piece of soot? I don't think I left any glowplug loose (I've fastened them with my dynamometric wrench...).
I've seen that BMW reccommends to change all the gummy washers of the intake manifold while re-installing it. I didn't. Could this may be cause an air leak that is interpreted by DDE as a lean mixture so causing a wrong correction for injector?

Just thinking....you know, before spending 250 Euros for a new injector I'd like to ascertain any possible unexpensive fix...

Cheers

Marco

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Intake manifold gaskets are usually OK to use again. If they would leak if would be a boost leak as we are talking about turbocharged engine. They could not explain those correctional values.

You can try some injector cleaner additive in fuel as it wouldn't cost much but don't get too high on hopes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning everybody..

A little update about my issue...

Well, finally, after some months, I had time and money to work again on my E60...

In the last period thing worsened, the roughness between 1500 and 2500 RPM got terrible and I also had an "oxigen sensor" fault (41E7) logged in my DDE.

So I decided to buy and replace oxygen sensor and injector n.2. In the meanwhile, I've also changed all the vacuum lines (with the exception of the one that goes in a very unacessable place under the engine, checked the vacuum pressure at EGR input (correct) and checked EGR itself (ok) and intake manifold swirl flaps correct working with a vacuum pump (everything OK).

I've coded the new injector, reset adaptations and went on a highway asking a DPF regen (just in case ....wasn't really needed anyway).

Well now the status is:

1. there is still roughness between 1500 and 2500 RPM (it is not so bad as in last days before maintenance, but it is still there)...
2. the smooth running controller failures appeared again and running the test I still have uncorrect values on cilynder n.2 (with the new injector!). To be totally hones I have to say that I did not upgraded DDE firmware as it was suggested by the ISTA: I just have a DCAN cable and a laptop, so I judged this task too risky...
3. no other failure are logged at the moment.

As I side note, I've to add:

- Since the very beginning I can hear a weid sound of compressed air (vacuum?) coming from the area were the vacuum regulator for EGR is placed...dont know if is coming from elsewhere (may be the power steering reservoir...) but is in that area. In any case, as already written, I've cheked vacuum value at EGR input and it is correct (-650 mbar).

- My turbocharger (and the area which is under it) is dirty of burnt oil...this is like that since years...and, in any case, oil consumption was never an issue in the last years...

So guys, I'd need again suggestions...don't want to take the car to BMW and I surerly don't want to change tuubocharger without a clear diagnosis....

Thanks im advance for your hints.

Cheers.

Marco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good morning guys.

Someone has any clue for trying to trobleshoot my issue?

Thanks anyway.

Marco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was that replaced injector new, refurbished or used? What are the correctional values now?
Good morning Clavurion.

The injector is a refurbished unit (regenerated) that I bought on line on a UK Site (don't know if I can write the name on the forum) which seemed very professional. I had the unit along with a test report performed on a Bosch test bench.

As far as my problem is concerned I can provide more indications.

The correction values are attached to this post. @ Idle correction value for cylinder 2 is OK (around 0).

1500rpm.jpg ; 2200rpm.jpg ; 3300rpm.jpg

While doing the test I have a lot of white smoke out from the exhaust. When driving the car start to be rough at 1800 rpm and if I push on the accellerator the engine is really not responsive until it goes over 2200rpm. At that point I have a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust and the car starts pushing normally.

I can't believe that if is a turbo issue, with such a sofisticated diagnostic sw and a car full of sensors, there isn't any alarm related to turocharger pressure or similar.

As said in a previuous post as a first screenshot before starting the Smooth controller test I have this warning from ISTA SW...

ISTA message.jpg

Thanks

Marco

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Those attachments are so small that difficult to see clearly but isn't that correctional value on Nr.2 still above 3?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right. Values for n.2 are above 5 just passed 1500 rpm and they remain above 5 also passed 3000 rpm (5.4 @ 3300 rpm in my snapshot)...

I'm puzzled.

Marco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good evening.
Well, I think that I'll swap injector 1 and 2 just to see if the problem moves to cylinder 1. In that case will mean that regenerated unit I purchased is defective. In the meanwhile I'd like to buy a tool to measure compression. By the way: which are the pressure values I have to read and which is the tolareted pressure variation among the cylinders?

PS: the car seems to go alway worst and a when I try to rev it a cloud of white smoke comes out from the exhaust...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good evening people.

Well, before swapping injectors I decided to trust ISTA P and try a DDE firmware upgrade to I Level 16-11-500. I did this last afternoon equipped with a laptop, a battery maintainer, ISTA P 3.63.xx and a k+d can cable.

Now the process is still running now (more than 24 hours elapsed) and if I read the actions performed it seems that ISTA P has done the programming but is stuck in the process of "deleting fault memory" (which, according to the action plan, is penultimate operation). I had still the message of "remove the key from the key slot..." which I did.

Don't know exactly what to do now: do I have to close everything and possibly get in trouble or I still have to be patient and wait to see if something happens (is it possible ISTA is really doing something after more than 24h)?

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Marco

1 - 20 of 26 Posts