BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or anyone that is in the know with mot's
ive just been looking at the laws about the sva test and one thing that cropped up was cars over 10 years old didnt need to have this test, ive cut the roof of mine and plan to turn it into a pickup this obviously causes some concern within the law as ive messed with the structual integrity of the car so where do i stand in regards to that?
im fairly sure its going to need to have some sort of test but can it just go for an mot? i dont want to come unstuck with this so if it does need to have an sva or esva then i need to know.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Erm, well, it shouldn't need an SVA because it's already registered.

When I changed the frame on my bike, I told the DVLA and they made me get a VOSA inspection done. Didn't cost anything, but it's kinda like a super-MOT.

That said, just take it for an MOT in the first instance - they'll soon tell you if it's road worthy/legal. Just make it look like the cars been that way for years... ;)

·
Banned
478 Posts
The Law has not long changed on the SVA tests.... If you are changing anything on the car that was'nt factory fitted that requires modification, such as suspension strut towers that require welding, or any modifications to the chassis..

A straight forward engine change, does not require an SVA test, but if changes to the subframe or structure of the car needs modding to fit a new engine then an SVA test will be required..

From what ive read they are clamping down hard with all this, which is a big pile of crap if you ask me...

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I would advise you seek an Engineers advice before contacting too many people. If they're happy that the vehicle is structurally sound then it may just be a case of informing DVLA that the car is no longer a 5 seater and it is only a two seater:confused

When I changed my engine (different ball game I know) DVLA were not interested in anything other than the new engine size:thumbsup

My 318is is now displayed on the log book as having a 2990cc engine:rofl

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well this is where im stuck because im just not clued up on it, since ive chopped the roof of ive messed with the structual part of the car as there is a built in rollcage that runs the lenght of the car, thats now gone so im pretty sure ive gotta do something to replace that part of the car, but this is where im stuck, does it need to have an sva for the structure of the chassis or just the cab area as thats whats going to get damaged if it rolls and if i have to put in a rollcage then i think they will want to know how close the driver/passengers head will be to it, i was going to strip it and sell it but theres no intrest in the main parts and im not stripping it to just sell a few little bits here and there so i might aswell carry on with it now.

·
Banned
478 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after spending a few hours on the phone ive got nowhere, basically all ive been told is to build the car and then apply for the new logbook to say the bodytype has changed, ie touring to pickup, and then if they think the car needs to be inspected then they will ask for it to be taken in.

how stupid is this, if they need to inspect certain parts of the car how am i supposed to know? for instance im putting a semi cage to protect the cab from rollover damage and if they need to inspect a certain area but ive covered that up with carpet or w/e but they cant inspect it then it will fail.
if anyone can shed a bit more light onto this or even point me in the rigth direction i would be muchos gratefull, dont show me the m5ute tho as that was different and has to go through different channels to what i need to.
the research ive done ive seen a couple of different cars in the uk done, an e30 a corsa and a merc so its been done a few times.

·
Banned
478 Posts
after spending a few hours on the phone ive got nowhere, basically all ive been told is to build the car and then apply for the new logbook to say the bodytype has changed, ie touring to pickup, and then if they think the car needs to be inspected then they will ask for it to be taken in.

how stupid is this, if they need to inspect certain parts of the car how am i supposed to know? for instance im putting a semi cage to protect the cab from rollover damage and if they need to inspect a certain area but ive covered that up with carpet or w/e but they cant inspect it then it will fail.
if anyone can shed a bit more light onto this or even point me in the rigth direction i would be muchos gratefull, dont show me the m5ute tho as that was different and has to go through different channels to what i need to.
the research ive done ive seen a couple of different cars in the uk done, an e30 a corsa and a merc so its been done a few times.
Mate, its a joke! they did a column in practical performance car about the SVA test, and according to the findings, the SVA rules contradict each other and are seemingly unfathomable.

I hope somebody with knowhow can help, but after i looked into it, i'm non the wiser!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I know little about it as well as SVA/ESVA testing is a different kettle of fish unfortunately :frown

I've never been on a course for it, it's separate from MOT testing

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this is where i wanted your advice.
if i came in with the pickup, what would you want to see?
the first obvious thing is its no longer an estate wich will go against what records you will have, will you need to see engineers reports to get it mot'd or is it just a case of you mot what you see in front of you?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
well this is where i wanted your advice.
if i came in with the pickup, what would you want to see?
the first obvious thing is its no longer an estate wich will go against what records you will have, will you need to see engineers reports to get it mot'd or is it just a case of you mot what you see in front of you?
Hmmmm, I would say that this would be down to the tester, if he was unhappy with testing it he could refuse to test the car as being dangerous to test( The vehicle's condition is such that, in the opinion of the tester, a proper examination would involve a risk of injury to any person or damage to the vehicle or other property.)

Otherwise the tester could fail the car on "Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, fracture or inadequate repair not within a prescribed area which adversely affects braking or steering by severely reducing the strength or continuity of a main load bearing structural member."

I will see what I can find out for you :thumbsup

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea if you could, ive been searching the net for ages and i just cant find any decent info on what im doing, its a shame really cos if it worked out it would be a really fun project but this issue of the law is starting to do my nut in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.