BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new to BMW ownership and have a 2018 X1 Xdrive with the 8 speed auto box that has quickly started developing problems.

Unfortunately BMW want £8k for a replacement box so am hoping to find advice on garages that could repair the gearbox.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes it's aisin and at 4 years old I would be telling BMW it's not fit for purpose. Threaten them with legal if they don't fix for free. Seriously, don't budge on this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no engine light or warning light.

When slowing down to near crawling speeds the car will suddenly dump the clutch into a gear causing a thud sound and sometimes a violent lurch.

Took the car to BMW and they hooked it up and couldn't find anything wrong. They then took it on a test drive and noticed the problem and then I think hooked it up to a module of some sort.

"Related service solution (printed) GBSEL-SELP24-20000813331985-01

Fault patterns test module on ista for transmission jerking. Test module concludes will require new gearbox"

The dealer initially said they would do something as near warranty period but when they found it was purchased elsewhere they want the full £8k+VAT.

Car has Full BMW service history.

Searching online ive found 2 similar cases both 2018 X1 but they managed to get it repaired under warranty and then 4 minis all 2018 also.

Not sure who I can contact at BMW other than going through dealer network.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nightmare…
sounds a like it could be valve/megatronics issue. Typical response from bmw just replace the box rather than repair it.
BMW probably say it’s sealed for life as they do with the zf boxes rather than factor in a service schedule.
Wonder if a service might cure it, if you get nowhere with the dealer try and find a service partner for help & advice, the gearbox is well used by other manufacturers so should be a few around by now

You would hope that they give you a goodwill gesture being such a major component & should last way longer than that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I don't mind paying labour as not looking for the dealer to lose out but won't be paying for a new gearbox.

I also thought similar that could be mechatronics or a software bug. Will see how far I get with the complaints department and update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update this:

BMW are not willing to offer any goodwill as I did not purchase directly from BMW. Full main dealer service history etc does not help.

I have previously purchased another vehicle new from BMW but that is not taken into consideration.

Slightly disappointed that a major component such as a gearbox can fail at 4 years and under 60K miles and essentially be treated as a consumable part.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for the update

That’s really poor product support, regardless of where the vehicle was purchased they should stand by their own, an item like that shouldn’t fail
Is the vehicle on finance? 🤞🏻 If so they might have a bit more leverage than you?
How about citizens advice/trading standards maybe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts