BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Like Dan_m2k I'm new to this forum and hoping to join the BM owners fold! Sorry to start another 3 Series Touring buying advice thread, but my questions are quite specific. If there's a buyer's guide section on this forum please point me in it's direction!

I'm looking for an F31 320d - I appreciate the 6 cylinder models may be better but the prices and insurance are beyond my budget at the moment. My max budget is £10k and I'm pretty set on a model with the xenon headlamps as these make a massive difference to the look of the front end IMO so this combination limits the field dramatically to very high mileage examples e.g. 2012/2013 cars with 115-130k miles.

From reading used 3 Series guides online I've learned that there shouldn't be issues with the timing chain (apparently fixed by BMW late in E90/91 production around 2010-11 according to one article) and there shouldn't be an issue with swirl flaps as these were eliminated after 2009.

My thinking is that a (relatively) new model with a high mileage isn't a bad thing as it strongly suggests that the car has spent most of its life on the motorway, so if this mileage is backed up by a full service history can I buy with reasonable confidence?

I would be very grateful if people could suggest things to look out for in terms of what might result in expensive maintenance especially clutch/gearbox (manual & auto as I'm considering both) suspension components and anything else that might be done in & need fixing at this sort of mileage.

Many thanks in advance!

Michael

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If it?s a high mileage car, solid service history is key. Also look at MOT for any failures or advisories and make sure they were addressed.

Definitely look for a car with xenon lights. Pro media with wide screen nav is also a must for me. Auto box FAR superior to manual, faster and more frugal.

M Sport cars most desirable but many Luxury models have far more toys so better value for money if that?s what you want.

N47 engine shouldn?t be an issue in a F31. As you mention, past the failure period.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really depends on the specifics of the service of the Full service history.

If it has done high miles particularly, I would avoid if it has been serviced every other year instead of yearly - lots of potential for a gunked up/clogged engine.

If you can find one with Main dealer history, done yearly at least , then you know the correct oil spec has been used.

Do you really need a diesel, what mileage do you do? Find out the lifespan of a turbo on these engines also, How long do you expect to keep it/to what mileage?

·
Registered
276 Posts
It wouldn't bother me. Most cars like that are ex company motors that are always serviced on schedule etc anyway

Just do your homework and make sure you're happy with it.

It seems that long oil change intervals and the n47 don't really agree with each other unless the car has done lots of long journeys.

The biggest issue you'll face is value when you come to sell. If you bag a car with 130k on the clock and add another 30k over 3 years or so a 9 year old 160k mile motor will be worth little as most people wouldn't even consider looking at it even though it will likely be just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, good to know the auto box is the better option.

The one I've got my eye on has a full main dealer history with a total of 8 services over 4 years & 117k miles. It failed its first MOT at 87k miles in 2016 because the "Nearside Front Road wheel bead rim badly distorted (4.2.A.1a)"

I do 50 miles a day on the motorway for work & occasional longer trips on weekends - about 20k miles per year and my plan would be to keep it long term or until an un-affordable repair bill (which hopefully wouldn't happen too soon!).

Petrol F31s seem to be very rare (at least at my budget) and I reckon I need the diesel MPG for it to make sense as a daily drive.

I'll look into the turbo lifetime, would appreciate any thoughts on this & the lifetime of the auto box, clutch and any other components that would likely need replacing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
185 Posts
That sounds a really good history, twice yearly/15k so the engine internals/turbo oil feed will be in good shape. You probably won't see many like that, you'll see missed services with 30-40k gaps or 2 years between oil changes.

I'd factor in that it might need full wheel alignment doing if a front wheel has taken a battering previously - check if the tyres are worn evenly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick ride comfort question - does anyone have the M Sport suspension paired with 17' wheels? A couple of reviews I've read say that the M Sport suspension ruins the ride - do people agree with this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about the F series but on the E90, MSport suspension is still a nice ride with 18's.

17's are quite a small wheel size by modern standards so has plenty of tyre depth to soak up the bumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts