BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

2012 F30 320d

Bit of an odd one which I'm hoping someone will have the answer to.

I was adjusting one of the mirrors using the little joy stick when I felt it click weirdly forward and it didn't come back up and none of the other directions would work any more and/or control of the other mirror.

I got home and immediatly set to work on removing the module which I managed successfully without breaking anything, worked round the edges of it to separate the plastic buttons housing from the PCB case, removed the case and PCB and could immediately see that one of the little plastic 'pushers' for 'up' had flipped 90° and was probably pressing down on the contacts since when it failed.

Anyway, I fixed it up, great, put it all back together.

Got back in the car and reconnected the unit only to find that none of the buttons work, no windows, mirrors, rear window lock / led .. nothing.

I got out the car, and closed the door and checked to see if the comfort windows option still worked, which it did - so the window itself is operational, just not the keypad.

What have I done wrong here? Has the FEM detected that the buttons weren't connected for a period of time and decided to fault it permanently? Is there anything high-voltage enough here that I may have shorted something (I seriously doubt that's the case, also PCB inspection revealed nothing untoward).

Do I have to go through some horrible coding experience just to re-enable the buttons?

Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully I'm not the only one who's had this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
+1 for a blown fuse. Symptoms sound very much like it’s a fuse problem. Motor was probably trying to move the mirror but it was jammed causing fuse to overheat & blow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 for a blown fuse. Symptoms sound very much like it’s a fuse problem. Motor was probably trying to move the mirror but it was jammed causing fuse to overheat & blow.
Any idea which fuse it might be? The manual just has a picture of a window half open and three fuses.. just check all those?
Or given the switch board appears to be directly connected to the FEM, should I check the fuses on the FEM instead / aswell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All fuses are good.
Fuse located in the FEM for the drivers side windows (fuse 6) tested and is fine. However this appears to be for sending power to the window motor, which I have verified is working as the windows can still be operated via comfort access, just not with the drivers side switch block.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Replace the adjuster time i think.
Sounds like something more than a "plastic pussher" failed in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts