BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So cars been into bmw again after the failed repair last week. Last week they replaced the egr cooler which they claimed was cracked (I never saw this and they didn't send me a video either). That cost me £750 which didn't cure the symptoms I had at all. Now they're telling my I have a cracked inlet manifold. This time they sent me a video and heres the link to it.
We have carried out a health check on your vehicle (DX63CDU), details can be seen here https://video.citnow.com/vx4m_Kn__Lj
That seems fairly obvious to me. I've had the bonnet up alot trying to see where I was getting air leak sound from and I've never seen any smoke coming out the engine. 2 mechanics looked at it prior to bmw and they didn't see it either so how has this been missed by them and how was this not spotted when bmw diagnosed and repaired it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well they've just told me that's going to cost £1016 to replace. That's an absolute joke, nearly 2k spent on car I haven't owned for even a year yet ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe just get another garage to do it that aren't going to charge dealer labour rates?

See if you can obtain a replacement manifold from a breaker and just pay the labour to have this fitted

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after going to collect my car, had a chat with the service manager. Basically the problem with the egr cooler is there's a valve or flap that sticks. Once this valve starts sticking it allows red hot exhaust gasses down the intake manifold and over time if the fault isn't fixed, it wears down and puts a hole in intake manifold.

If I'd have took my car to bmw as soon as my engine light came on instead of getting other mechanics to try diagnose it, the problem could have been fixed before it cracked my intake.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Just hold on a minute! This is just the problem that is causing BMW a massive recall campaign because some vehicles have caught on fire. The main problem is stuck EGR bypass valve causing ERG gases to flow directly (not via EGR cooler) into intake manifold and eventually melting it. I would contact BMW and hold them responsible for all costs regarding EGR cooler and intake manifold.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just hold on a minute! This is just the problem that is causing BMW a massive recall campaign because some vehicles have caught on fire. The main problem is stuck EGR bypass valve causing ERG gases to flow directly (not via EGR cooler) into intake manifold and eventually melting it. I would contact BMW and hold them responsible for all costs regarding EGR cooler and intake manifold.
Hmmm....can't find any info anywhere regarding recall campaigns about this issue and don't seem to be many threads from people having the issue either.

I'd love nothing more than for bmw to cover the cost but I wouldn't know where to start or who to contact. I will however get bmw to write a full report as to what was wrong with my egr cooler to cause the fault.

Seems abit stupid to me though where if there is a chance hot exhaust gasses could enter the intake, why make it out of plastic?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting, it's not worded the same as my fault but could easily be the same fault. I will push them for a written description of what was at fault on the egr cooler and why it caused my intake manifold to crack/melt

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading more on the subject bmw are to start a technical campaign to examine and replace faulty egr modules across Europe. I'll be asking the dealer tomorrow about this and hopefully get the work done at no extra cost and previous payment refunded. Thank you for pointing this out to me ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok spoke to my dealership, basically told me because there isn't a current recall they can't refund my money but if the recall does come out and my car is affected I can then contact bmw and ask for a refund. Does that sound right or are they passing the book?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How have Marshalls been with you? I prefer to deal with Stratstone in Doncaster. Marshalls never seem to bothered with customer service.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How have Marshalls been with you? I prefer to deal with Stratstone in Doncaster. Marshalls never seem to bothered with customer service.
To me they seem really good but this is my first experience with a bmw dealer so have nothing to compare it to. Everyone I've dealt with has been polite and welcoming etc and to be fair although expensive, they have fixed my car and it now drives superb compared to how it was.
Only issue on my part is their lack of help regarding this on going recall campaign but it's hasn't been made official in the uk yet and they may know nothing about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Even if they didn't know of the recall (I would call this ignorance when talking about BMW dealership in this current situation) or the initial recall would not cover your vehicle the basic problem is the same so at least a good will should be initiated. Of course they are polite as long as you keep your wallet open.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Could you map the EGR valve out completely hence preventing the problem ? Or is it more involved than that? I am thinking exhaust paste for the manifold crack :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even if they didn't know of the recall (I would call this ignorance when talking about BMW dealership in this current situation) or the initial recall would not cover your vehicle the basic problem is the same so at least a good will should be initiated. Of course they are polite as long as you keep your wallet open.
I know what saying, trouble on my end is I didn't buy the car from bmw so as far as good will gestures go, I'm not entitled to nor would I expect one (not from my local dealer anyway)

After you pointed me in the direction of this recall though I decided to pay the repair using my credit card so I'm going to lodge a complaint with them regarding the issue and they should help me get a refund from bmw UK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts