BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an F30 320i xDrive Touring MY 2013 on which the interior lights (map reading lights etc.) stopped working. Using Carly, I read out the error codes which indicated the following faults:

- Fault: Implausible from the rain light sensor signal
- Code: 8041BF
- Fault: No communication champion Lin F
- Code: D90C10
- Fault: Missing Lin slave Rls (Lin-slave)
- Code: D90D29
- Fault: Missing Lin slave interior lighting unit (Ile)
- Code: D90D38

("Rls" apparently stands for "rain light sensor")

I tested the rain sensor and found out that indeed it doesn’t work either. When wipers are set to automatic, they just wipe at fixed intervals no matter what.

Studying the wiring diagrams, both are controlled by the FEM module. The FEM module has a particular LIN bus "port" which has three peripherals attached to it: Rain sensor, interior lights unit and the rear view mirror. Based on this and the fault codes, it would seem that there is something wrong with this LIN bus.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this further? I suppose the reason for the fault could be one of:

- Faulty LIN bus on the FEM (uh-oh)
- One of the three devices attached to this LIN bus is faulty and messing up communication on the bus
- Problem in the LIN bus wiring

The car has very low mileage for its age and is otherwise in great condition and has never had any other electrical nor mechanical issues.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Might be worth making and breaking any connections you can find, if it's low mileage it might have stood a while and got a bit damp too....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take FEM off and see if never been opened. You can see that by marks after wedging with screw driver. Open it and see if any visible damage of the water or anything. Also low mileage may indicate fitted CAN FILTER for this purpose and become faulty now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I know the full history of the car (it has been in the family since new). The FEM has not been tampered with. In the first three years the car was parked in a garage most of the time. Water damage is unlikely and there are no signs of such.

I will try to unplug the rain sensor, interior light module and other things which are on the same LIN bus and observe how that changes the fault codes. Maybe this will reveal something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have the same exact problem and symptoms on my F30.
I have these three codes:

8041BF
D90D29
D90D38

Did you figure this problem out? What was the outcome?
please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have the same problem. im struggling to find the fuse can anyone help please. thanks
Hi Matt, check the fuse diagram here:

It was fuse #11 for me, a 5A fuse.

The fuse box was located underneath a couple of plastic shields on the passenger side of the vehicle. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts