BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

F11 suspension.....Arghhh

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jiminnz 
#1 ·
Have a 2015 F11.....50K miles. Had since new. Full BMW maintenance. In Jan 22 had a problem with the suspension dropping at the rear. Sytner diagnosed leaking air spring but compressor ok. Replaced both Air springs....£900. Last week problem reappeared. Into Sytner again. Compressor failed and has damaged both air springs through the weight of the vehicle. Now require another £2500 I just want to curl up and die. Is this a common problem on the F11 ?

#5 ·
i could up until a couple of days ago. I could hear it but the suspension did not rise much. since then nothing and the car is sitting on its stoppers. BMW say the compressor was worn out because of the leak in a air bag in January and has failed now. They are saying because it is sitting on its stoppers the new air springs are damaged and need to be replaced again.

#6 ·
Sounds to me like they misdiagnosed it.
Both air springs failing at the same time?
Probably was the compressor all along.
Why should the air springs be damaged otherwise what's the point of the 'stoppers'?

Can you not replace the compressor yourself ? There bound to be some Youtube vidoes and used ones on ebay.

Bear in mind that dealers can't get enough cars to sell so they need to generate income by other means..... such as from the service dept....

#7 ·
Thanks. In January only one air spring failed but they replaced both " just in case". I do think the compressor was knackered then but it was still working so it was left in place. I sort of accept that the compressor needs changing now but really pissed off about the air springs again. They say because it has been sitting on it's stoppers they will have internal damage.
I am a technical numpty. Struggle with fitting a headlight bulb.
Interestingly I had an email this morning from bmw sytner asking if I am interested in part exchange for a new BMW. Hmmmm

#9 ·
Thanks. In January only one air spring failed but they replaced both " just in case". I do think the compressor was knackered then but it was still working so it was left in place. I sort of accept that the compressor needs changing now but really pissed off about the air springs again. They say because it has been sitting on it's stoppers they will have internal damage.
I am a technical numpty. Struggle with fitting a headlight bulb.
Interestingly I had an email this morning from bmw sytner asking if I am interested in part exchange for a new BMW. Hmmmm
But do they have one in stock that you'd be tempted by?

#13 ·
I smell more than a little stealership skullduggery here. They've take a fault which is about £150 quid to fix if you do it yourself and spun it into about £4K and rising.
I've just spoken to my local main dealer about a blown air spring on my X5. Arnott is maybe £140 for a new bag. BMW want £450 for the bag alone and I know they'd push to do both bags.
Potentially I can buy a pair of bellows for a shade over £100 if I choose to plumb the depths of cheap aftermarket.

There's also the perennial problem of finding somewhere to do the work when you are in a hurry. Most of the places round here have 2 week waits before you can even get in the front door. Nothing is easy these days.

#17 ·
I smell more than a little stealership skullduggery here. They've take a fault which is about £150 quid to fix if you do it yourself and spun it into about £4K and rising.
I've just spoken to my local main dealer about a blown air spring on my X5. Arnott is maybe £140 for a new bag. BMW want £450 for the bag alone and I know they'd push to do both bags.
Potentially I can buy a pair of bellows for a shade over £100 if I choose to plumb the depths of cheap aftermarket.

There's also the perennial problem of finding somewhere to do the work when you are in a hurry. Most of the places round here have 2 week waits before you can even get in the front door. Nothing is easy these days.
Stealership indeed. My bill was £2584 on top of the £1000 in January. Needed the car back so have paid. The dealership say they are talking to BMW about a goodwill payment but I am not holding my breath.

#15 ·
Yep. You can still get air bags that cheap. I'm looking at the Arnott's just because they have good rep, The rubber they use is from Continental so you'd hope the quality should be up to par.
I did my old 530i touring with no-name aftermarkets and that was fine. No issues at all apart from the 10p clip that locks the reservoir cylinder hose in place snapping and BMW don't sell them separately. Whole new tank - that will be £90 please. "And no we won't accept a return if you try to send the tank back unused but without the clip." 🤬

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.