BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm at that point where I decide to keep my 2010 520d SE or upgrade. My 520d is a great car with 50k miles, with some good options and spec, but having had a six cylinder 3 series (325d auto) before this I'm contemplating a switch back.

A 2014/5 330d M sport would cost about +£7k at trade in. Alternatively, I spend a few hundred and make the 520d a bit quicker. A 330d is 258bhp, a chipped 520d is approx 225bhp. I know the lighter 3 with 30ish more bhp will make it quicker, but is it worth it for an extra £7.5k

(anyone have any experience of tuning a 2.0D given the timing chain issues?

Id welcome your thoughts please?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Maybe you could broaden your search? £5K gets you a 645ci which would certainly be quicker if speed is your only consideration. If you still need a saloon then how about a 550i?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's needs to be family friendly and sensible financially to run unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Depends what your budget is. For the sake of argument let's say its £10K. You could spend most of that on the car and get something like a 520d. Or you could find something a bit older and gnarlier like a 6-series for a fraction of the budget and spend the rest on gas for the next 3 years. You spend the same overall. The money always goes somewhere. You just have to decide where.

What you need is something practical and understated....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804125472886

1 - 4 of 4 Posts