BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First post on this forum, any forum in fact! I had a 2012 520d for about 9 months now and all was well until yesterday on way home from work. Lost all engine power. Dashboard showed "Fuel" and continue to drive moderately. EML was on as expected but weirdly showed tire pressure loss warning as well. Unsuccessfully tried restart twice. Gave up trying whilst waiting for AA to show up. 10 mins later and engine fired up, no warnings! Typical! AA man turns up and plugs reader into OBDC port and detects one code- CED400-Fuel delivery amount timeout. AA man suspected two things, crap in fuel filter or intermittent fuel module fault. Otherwise drives perfect. I've noticed one other thing, when I have sport mode selected and don't drive aggressively the engine will occasionally stall briefly at low revs. Anyone else noticed this? Any help with this one would be hugely appreciated before I look for a second mortgage to give BMW for fault finding!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Bad fuel sounds logical, could be clogging a filter up now and need changing out, but odd electrical problems can be down to a low battery or one on the way out, that'd be unusual for a 2012, but depends on how you use it, lots of short journeys might not give it enough of a charge.

See if there is a youtube vid on 520d fuel filter replacement, it's going to be in the fuel line of course but depends where it is whether it's a DIY jobby, an overnight charge of the battery (while in) could also help.

Change where you get your fuel from... and even ask if they've had any water in their tanks recently - it does happen!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply Thana and Blk. New development today on way from work. Tyre Press Sytem fail and DSC fail warnings with associated power drop offs from engine. I have since found out that the power drop offs are probably norm as a reaction to the DSC problem. Have spoken to 2 local garages who both, not surprisingly, wont say much until they've had it on their readers and looked at the stored faults. I'm beginning to think it might be worth investing in a scanner read tool of my own. Could be a good investment.Is it just me not looking in the right places or is there very little in the way of manuals or guides out there are is it just that it isnt old enough yet! Anyone know of a good site for spares catalogues other than BMw dealership?Will keep on posting any new developments. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Cotswold bmw are one of the site sponsors, could always talk to them when you need to.

Charge battery :)

Lookup code readers on here and get one, read codes, though random electrical errors can still pop up due to lack of electrical ooomph...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, took advice of having the car read and it showed some very interesting results. It honestly looked like the system had never been read or cleared....ever! I'm guessing that a regular service at a dealership does not include a read and fault clearence. So going forward i will drive for a couple of weeks and then have the car re-read and see what if anything is new a repeat offender.This seems like a logical way forward as on the two previous breakdowns within 10 mins of switching the car off the fault on the dashboard was gone. I have to assume an intermittent fault......dont i ? I will update after next scan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts