BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, while driving today I noticed a weird scraping noise when going over uneven back roads, anyway when I got home I had a look and it looks like the exhaust at the front end has dropped (see pic). Surely it's not supposed to sit that low normally? Car is an 11 plate 320d, I've only had it just over a month, also it seemed to be struggling a bit going up hill on the drive back (2nd gear) which it doesn't normally have a problem with - could that be connected to what's happened with the exhaust?

Is it something I can fix myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hard to tell from that picture but looks to me like the clamp has failed between main exhaust section and dpf so the joint has slipped out. Just needs remains of clamp removing (spot welded to pipe) exhaust sliding back together and a new clamp fitting.
That could explain power issue due to gas pressure changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, managed to get under the car today and fasten it with a jubilee clip to raise it a bit, it looks like the bracket is still on the pipe but couldn't see where it's supposed to connect to?

After tightening the jubilee clip and driving it noticed the exhaust sounds a lot deeper now, think it must have a small hole somewhere from me tightening too much? Not sure though.. sounds a bit sucky too, can this cause any problems with the turbo or anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
There isn’t a bracket at front of exhaust the bracket you put jubilee round is just for the undertray.

the dpf has a bracket on to bell housing and block to secure it firmly in place,the exhaust slips over it and clamps up. In 2nd picture it has a standard exhaust clamp on it which isn’t keeping the joint tight. You can see in first picture it has slipped back off dpf. You need to get a proper band clamp and then push exhaust on to dpf and maybe rotate to align everything then clamp it up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Actually looking closer i can see an exhaust clamp other side of the flexi which suggests someone has cut an old worn flexi out and bodged a generic clamp type on. I would say you need to get the under tray off and have a good look. I suspect the top joint has slipped aswell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help, I did take another pic while a bit closer which I've attached, looking at it has the exhaust come off the dpf completely? I can see like a hole with some mesh type stuff inside I'm guessing is the dpf or am I completely off target 😅

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes in that picture exhaust has come off the dpf,that’s as a result of the flexi being replaced with clamp on type. Best bet is get it looked at by someone who does exhaust fabrication see if they can weld flexi in properly I reckon as that joint takes a lot of stress.
What’s there is never going to stay on as there’s not enough metal on dpf to clamp to by look of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it okay to drive like that? I need it for work but not gonna be able to get it looked at til Saturday

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wouldn’t drive like that if it was me, forget the noise side of things but exhaust fumes will enter cabin. And don’t forget the heat of the escaping gas especially if it does a regen you could end up causing damage. Melting wiring,plastic pieces etc. if you really need to drive it I would try and push exhaust back in to position and see if it holds temporarily

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Managed to clamp it back on, seems pretty solid will see how long it lasts 😅 thanks for your help!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I suspect it will come back off again at some point s there’s a lot of stress out through that with engine movement,plus there isn’t much pipe on DPF to clamp to. If it goes again get someone to weld it on for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts