BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and was sent here by a fellow BMW enthusiast friend after recently purchasing a 330Ci.

However... the front left wheel has about -2.5 to -3.0 degrees of camber and I cannot get to the bottom of it! It looked like it had some kind of impact on that side as the track rod, track rod end and wheel have been replaced by someone previous, along with what looks like a salvage wishbone. After a bit more investing I noticed that the shock absorber was bent pretty badly, so I replaced that with a new Bilstein B4 thinking that would surely fix the camber issue... but it didn't. At this point I was unaware of the strut tower mushrooming problem, so I checked mine and it was indeed mushroomed considerably. I managed to flatten it with a block of wood and a hammer, renewing the bent strut top mount too... Sure enough, still too much negative camber. I then thought that the hub might have bent so I replaced that with a salvaged part, resulting in no camber change whatsoever. As a final move I drilled out the strut top mount locating pin and set it as far positive as it would go... This only resulted in about a 0.5 degree improvement, still nowhere near correct.

I'm really struggling to think what else could be causing this much camber! As a last resort I have thought about grinding the adjustment slots longer but I'm not even sure that will give me the extra adjustment I need. As far as I can see there can only be a few more, though unlikely, causes...

A) The wishbone the previous owner fitted is too long. I'm not sure if this is possible?
B) The strut tower is bent more than first thought. I've inspected the tower and surrounding area in great detail and everything seems straight, mirroring the driver's side.
C) The second hand hub I fitted is bent by exactly the same amount as the one it replaced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I have had it up on a ramp and everything looks A-ok, both wishbone mountings look very straight and generally in good condition. My thinking was that if the subframe was bent I would have too much positive camber, the opposite to my problem. I may get it up on the ramp again tomorrow to make absolute sure nothing has skewed.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I just went outside and checked the strut tower area as I was convinced that's where the problem lies. I compared the lines on the inner wing with the drivers side and noticed that the drivers side was slightly straighter on this particular section which led me to see this...

Wire Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

It looks as though the strut tower not only mushroomed but has been pushed inboard by the impact. This is a real bummer but I'm hoping I'll be able to encourage it back into place with a puller and/or hydraulic press. If not then I guess I could fit camber plates to bring it back in spec. Neither solution is ideal :(

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
Id first gladly pay the £50 hunter machine alignment on any and every e46 3.0l before id purchase it.
Never ever buy a powerfull car without getting it fully checked out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Excessive negative front camber on my first BMW (not bent strut, hub or strut...

Its possible the motorsport vs non motorsport arms are a different length. If you talk nicely to your parts supplier they might get both out to compare. Ive seen it on a mitsubishi before vr4 vs regular both fit but lead to excessive camber if you fit the wrong one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts