BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon gents,

So as some of you know i live in Barcelona but have been slowly putting a car together in the Uk to bring back with me.

Im looking for a bit of advice and if anyone has any good tips.

So far ive been preparing the car and tried to combat any potential problems the car might give me on the way down.

Ive replaced the following on the car- (1996 BMW 328i with 153k on the clock)

4 brandnew tyres
Water pump
Thermostat + uprated metal housing
Visocus coupling
changed coolant
Oil + filter
Diff and box oil
Brakes front and back
Shocks all round
Springs to be done at easter
Fault codes read and all clear apart from cam sensor which was duly replaced

Is there anything else you can think of? I was thinking about a set of samco hoses to stop any hoses bursting/leaking or do you think this is a little extreme?

Also im thinking dover to calais on the ferry and then just drive down through france and making my way into the top of spain and then a little further on to Barcelona.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome!

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I think that you have got most of the bases covered with your list TBH... The cooling system overhaul is a good idea as you move it to a hotter climate and it will help with the constant motorway speeds (hopefully not traffic jams all the way).

Just don't cane it all the way, that is the most strain on any motor...

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps. Would a set of silicone hoses from the like of Samco be a good idea do you think? or perhaps see if i can get a second hand set of originals or am I being a little over zealous?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Don't know where your point of origin is, but have you checked out the Santander ferry - it's a bit pricey, but maybe no more than an overnight in France and you'll be in Sapin overnight?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had been told that the Santander ferry was no longer in service due to lack of demand but ill check it out thannks for the tip Neal

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would go for the Samco myself for extra cover! I will be getting them myself in the near future!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
why not take some hoses with you, hoses don't perish with one very long road trip mate and that way you have a spare set for the coming months,years

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hoses look fine, almost new all being that they are 15 years old.

Looked at the Samcos on eBay but no body seems to do a complete set.

Santander ferry is out afcneal as they want £300 for two people and a car and P&O want just £60.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Santander ferry is out afcneal as they want £300 for two people and a car and P&O want just £60.
Dont forget to add in fuel costs for the trip across france... Not sure on the cars economy or french fuel prices, so just a thought :)

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
The hoses look fine, almost new all being that they are 15 years old.

Looked at the Samcos on eBay but no body seems to do a complete set.

I'm not on commission, but one night's accomodation and meals for two and perhaps 2 tanks of petrol isn't any less? Plus you save a day's driving and wear on the car.........

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do the road trip mate - it's what BMW's were designed for!
I think your one lucky dude to be able to drive across Europe with your partner :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i were to get the ferry to Santander its would still be 700km over to barcelona so I would still be out of pocket so i think P&O dover to calais is the best bet.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Shell handle it no probs mate!

Think id be changing the plugs for peace of mind as well though, and maybe an air filter.

Have you got breakdown cover....

Some gaffer tape and tie wraps as well are handy i suppose, you never know with the hoses.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope so watty! Forgot to add that id changed the plugs and also the airfilter as well. Im going to see if I can stretch to breakdown cover as well.

I was thinking that a spare set of bulbs, a bigger extinguisher than the BMW one it has, some cable ties, gaffer tape and high vis jacket and perhaps a few tools as well.

Maybe a spare coil pack, some oil, water and a second hand set of coolant hoses.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
It's a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs and hi-vis in FRance anyway. Don't forget an English and French copy of the Constat Amiable........

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hope so watty! Forgot to add that id changed the plugs and also the airfilter as well. Im going to see if I can stretch to breakdown cover as well.

I was thinking that a spare set of bulbs, a bigger extinguisher than the BMW one it has, some cable ties, gaffer tape and high vis jacket and perhaps a few tools as well.

Maybe a spare coil pack, some oil, water and a second hand set of coolant hoses.
Cant go wrong with all that mate then youll be able to relax and enjoy your driving:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts