BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW 1 series engine sounds like a clicking that gets faster and turns in to a fast fluttering noise when moving faster. The car still drives on and there’s no missing on the rev counter. The oil was low, so dropped it out and refilled it. Sound still there.. any ideas what this is please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tappets ...
Thanks, I have used an engine flush, drained and changed oil. The sound isn’t as bad but still there. How can I know if it’s tappets. It’s a flicking clicking sound. If it was the engine would the sound be different? Thanks for time ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can record and attach sound file here is there anyone who can identify it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What rasa and I mean is what engine, what vehicle. year etc? I was being flippant 'cos we don't know which vehicle, petrol or diesel but both can make clicking ticking sounds from a variety of sources, it's just that tappets is one. For help you need to give potential helpers bigger, better clues ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What rasa and I mean is what engine, what vehicle. year etc? I was being flippant 'cos we don't know which vehicle, petrol or diesel but both can make clicking ticking sounds from a variety of sources, it's just that tappets is one. For help you need to give potential helpers bigger, better clues ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the car is a 2009. 1 series 118i, 2.0L petrol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No worries. I still say tappets ;) But if you can get a video of the noise then it'll help. It could just as easily be a tie wrap or something caught in the coolant or AC fans ....

If you like, use a long screwdriver, stick the pointy end on parts of the engine while it's running and move the handle close to your ear, touching facial bone .. it amplifies and can help pinpoint the sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries. I still say tappets ;) But if you can get a video of the noise then it'll help. It could just as easily be a tie wrap or something caught in the coolant or AC fans ....

If you like, use a long screwdriver, stick the pointy end on parts of the engine while it's running and move the handle close to your ear, touching facial bone .. it amplifies and can help pinpoint the sound.
I have attached a video thanks for your time today

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I can’t upload a video here only photos. Which is pointless I guess. I can’t send video... sorry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can’t upload video here. Only photo. Do u have an email I can send video to please...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Upload the video to a hosting site, youtube maybe, then use the 'Insert link' (Looks like a chain) button to point to the video url.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well you have the N43 engine and first thing I’d be considering is a loose chain either through stretching over time or possibly first signs of guides giving up or a worn out chain tensioner. If you hold the revs at about 1700rpm can you hear any clattering? If it’s none of those and all is good then it might just be noisy injectors. Direct injection engines (certainly the N43) can sound a bit like a tractor now and then, have you had the codes read to see if there’s any info stored there?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts