BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

After I drove to work ten miles or so I find the electric fan isn't working plus the engine one was slightly wobly. Should the electric one be on as standard when stationery or are there certain requirements eg temp. The car gets to 95 by the time I get to work. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Don't think it will come on this time of year.
Think it might run if you have the air-con on but that might just be when you first turn the ignition on ???.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think it will come on this time of year.
Think it might run if you have the air-con on but that might just be when you first turn the ignition on ???.
From what I've read you are right. The fan does not come on with the air conditioning on. However I don't know if that's because outside air temperature is 13 and the controller says 16 is minimum, but that's never true anyway, when working its as cold as the fridge.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparantly you can use inpa to turn the fan on, i will hope to look at this at the weekend, I hope by then I can get further advice before handing it to a garage o n thursday. I see coolant dribling out the expansion tank cap, I suppose that s a good sign ie. pressure vale is working to some extent.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your car reach 95 or higher and will decrease again. Than you are safe :)

What do you mean by wobble?
Wobble, well like its not spinning exactly on the axis, like when you see a magician spinning a plate they are never perfectly even. you can see it kind of pivoting almost, or perhaps it is just one blade slightly bent out of the original shape so you need see it poke out a bit on each rotation.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The electric fan should spin up briefly when you first turn the ignition on - it does this as a routine diagnostic. It also has a sort of parking brake to stop it spinning - presumably for when the car is moving. The only reason I know that is that mine threw an error code for it once which I resolved by manually moving the fan a little which freed it up - touch wood no further trouble and that was several years ago now.

Without the aircon switched on and in cold ambient temps the fan won't be called to work. With the aircon it will run at varying speeds depending on need when the car is stationary. If it's cold outside (but above about 6C when the aircon cuts out entirely), it may not run at all, although I find that if you leave the driver's door open with the aircon on it usually prompts the fan into action after a short time.

The viscous fan on my E46 has never looked absolutely true since the day I bought it 15 years ago so I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it really is flailing about all over the axis.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The electric fan should spin up briefly when you first turn the ignition on - it does this as a routine diagnostic. It also has a sort of parking brake to stop it spinning - presumably for when the car is moving. The only reason I know that is that mine threw an error code for it once which I resolved by manually moving the fan a little which freed it up - touch wood no further trouble and that was several years ago now.

Without the aircon switched on and in cold ambient temps the fan won't be called to work. With the aircon it will run at varying speeds depending on need when the car is stationary. If it's cold outside (but above about 6C when the aircon cuts out entirely), it may not run at all, although I find that if you leave the driver's door open with the aircon on it usually prompts the fan into action after a short time.

The viscous fan on my E46 has never looked absolutely true since the day I bought it 15 years ago so I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it really is flailing about all over the axis.

OK thanks well its looking like I at least dont need to worry until spring, I'll have t get someone to have a look at the fan when turning the car on. My aircon worked fine in winters, its useful to demist the front windscreen. Mum had a Honda Prelude and that left the fan on for some minutes after turning the engine off, surprised BMW didn't do that for a pressurised system.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If your fan is wobbling, maybe you could test by hands, just rotate it if is silent it should be fine. Or remove to inspect, very easy to remove...

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok well it doesnt start at al on startup of the engine not even when i turn the aircon on. i saw you can turn it on using inpa, i will give it a go

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I started up xp in safe m ode and connected usb to dkan cable, connected to car on ignition position2 got some error messages but i think the cable is broken, i didnt spot it when i got it but there is a little led light on the cable, however it doesnt light up, and upon a quick search on google it seems it should at least work, does anyone know should it always light up when connected to either the car or the usb cable regardless of software issues?

damn:-
"Yep. That led indicator is powered through the usb port. It'll also light up when you plug it into the OBD port, without it being connected at the other end."

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to amazon it said I couldnt ask for refund and it gave me a dodgy link to a page to explain why, I then went to a live chat person and he organised a refund immediately. Free return on it too. This despite the fact I bought it on 7th August, presumably because seller has such shite feedback lol.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think you hve connected in wrong sequence.
Yhis happen me sometimes, when long not used (forgotten).

First I connect to obd port.
Then connected to computer.
Start inpa.
Switch key to first position.
Switch key to second position.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you hve connected in wrong sequence.
Yhis happen me sometimes, when long not used (forgotten).

First I connect to obd port.
Then connected to computer.
Start inpa.
Switch key to first position.
Switch key to second position.
Thanks however,what about the light not working?

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try tomorrow, however today I had put cable into obd port, connected usb to laptop, tried both this while running inpa and while not running inpa and starting it up, got these errors,
I even tried to navigate other menus but other errors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
First try to get standby light (it means connection is proper).

That wrong version error you can ignore it, I have that error every time when using inpa.

Other errors are related to usb is not connected.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Am I safe to use the car as long as I don't sit around idling given the engine powered fan works?

I'm going to test a couple of things I see advice for on YouTube that being the fuse and power supply to the fan and the car will be looked at on Thursday.

Edit: on a side note I just watched a video saying if you have air con problems that to can mean the fan wont come on. A few months back I noticed air con was not up to scratch however I never got around to taking it to get re gassed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts