BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help please with a M44b19.
I have an annoying electrical issue somewhere with the baby 36.
The ignition is always on and I can take key out and it'll stay running until I stall it. I have to disconnect battery to stop it draining too.

I started with the common ignition barrel (both ends) but to no avail, even tried disconnecting the wiring harness for the ignition and it's still stays on.
There also is a loud buzzing coming from the Idle control valve which starts soon as the battery is connected. It stops if the DME relay is out too.
I'm coming to a bit of a loss and was wondering if anyone new anything about it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, I remember this problem back when the first e36's were delivered to our dealership but am at a loss to remember what the factory cure was. It was the idle valve being powered up all the time. check the wiring / location of the unloader relay . may be mixed up with a 4 pin same colour relay in the fuse box.
60 years old now but without looking at a wiring diagram I think the unloader relay is 5 prong?
I could be thinking e30, anyway back trace from the idle valve to see how its getting powered, main relay ?????? look there also, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts