BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my car today, noticed the clock and trip info had reset itself for no reason. Drove off and was notified that the boot was open. Now the tailgate window pops open when I unlock the car, only happens if the car has been left for a while. After closing it wont open again. Had been working fine up to today, any ideas? It is very annoying!

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like you have a Broken & or a split & shorting cable in the wiring harness where they pass through the Rubbers from the bootlid into the body of the car...

Dean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i'll take a look at that. Will it be a case of slicing the black tube open to check? if so any suggestions on resealing it?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now the main button to open the boot won't work either so I think your diagnoses is correct, could you give me a clue which harness house the cables? from what I see there is one on the left and 2 on the right.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Slice open where the Kink would be when closed... I reseal with self amalgamating tape afterwards....

The one on the Right contains the washer hose & cables for the stereo Ariel & remote fob locking Etc.... Next left to that houses a huge bunch of cables ... What they are all for i do not know... Furthest left has the Ariel & a few more which i believe are the tailgat but i couldnt swear for sure... i would start on the far left one if it was me..... if there no breaks jut seal back up but i will be surprised if there are not..

Dean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Eventually got round to looking at this. Checked all the cables and there where a few that the insulation had broken on. Fixed them still got the same problem.

I popped the cover off the tailgate switch and it looks ok but a little wet. Could this be the problem? Also checked diversity unit and no sign of water ingress

1 - 6 of 6 Posts