BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update for the record Took the car in to a main dealer today for a fault inspection. They confirmed it was an EGR valve problem, and that mine hadn't been replaced as part of the recall, only the cooler. However they spoke to BMW who agreed to pay for a replacement as a goodwill gesture. Now seems to be running nicely and with no evidence so far of the occasional notchy/stuttery feel that I had noticed recently. The replacement EGR valve is an updated design so hopefully not as susceptible to whatever fault the original suffered.

Loan car was a Mini Cooper S, btw. Quite a hoot, but glad to have the 5 back.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just what I said ... Knew someone had identical issues, identical outcome. "Not our problem, but goodwill gesture, we'll replace it" Face and arse covering by BMW maybe, but if it gets the car going again FOC to you ... (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just what I said ... Knew someone had identical issues, identical outcome. "Not our problem, but goodwill gesture, we'll replace it" Face and arse covering by BMW maybe, but if it gets the car going again FOC to you ... (y)
Yeah, but as it was only the EGR cooler that I had replaced and not the valve, I didn't think I'd get such a gesture. Wasn't entirely FOC, I still had to pay the dealer's standard £140 or so charge for fault inspection, but I'm happy with that. Happier still that it wasn't really a failing drivetrain - I imagine that would have been eye-watering.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts