BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

If I do not have the EGR mapped out after removal, will this cause me issues with the DPF in any way? Regen etc?

Reading conflicting info online as usual so looking for a bit of guidance. Cheers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,283 Posts
It will depend on who and what they are doing to program it out ?

Why are you removing the egr ?

What model and your is your car ?

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+447831103030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will depend on who and what they are doing to program it out ?

Why are you removing the egr ?

What model and your is your car ?

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+447831103030

Hi,

My Flexi pipe that goes from the EGR cooler to manifold was snapped so needed removing. I bought a blanking kit to remove both the EGR and the EGR cooler. I have removed them both and the car is running fine, no check engine light and no fault codes logged. The car has been driven over 100 miles since doing this.

Will it affect anything else if I just leave it rather than having the EGR mapped out?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,283 Posts
Which year and model do you have?

Has the car been remapped by someone?

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+447831103030

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Removing the EGR will affect DPF function. First consider what the EGR does. It allows a proportion of post combustion exhaust gases to feed into the inlet manifold. This will include particulates and unburnt fuel residues. Why is it there? The effect is to reduce the combustion temperature at higher engine speeds which in turn reduces the production of nitrogen oxides. NOx are bad from pretty much any perspective as far as organic life is concerned but let's gloss over that fact for now. The exhaust your engine now produces will contain less soot and fewer particulates at normal cruising speed now than it would with the EGR fitted. This in turn means the DPF has less of a job to do. Potentially it will in fact regen more readily than with the EGR fitted since the engine will run hotter.

There are further considerations such as, depending on driving patterns, you will probably shorten the life of the turbo since it is now passing hotter exhaust than normal for sustained periods whilst cruising. There are the legal considerations in having modified the vehicle in such a way as to remove a prescribed anti-pollution device. Good luck getting an MoT next time around. Since you are not aquatic life or one hopes suffering from asthmatic or other respiratory impairment, plant or insect your concern about nitrogen oxide emissions is likely very limited. I would however suggest the "right" thing to do in this instance is to refit the EGR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts