BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

EGR removal - a big mistake

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  johnibby 
#1 ·
I have seen more and more BMW owners removing their EGR. In my opinion, this is a major mistake, from so many point of views.

First of all, it’s illegal. Also, a BMW without an EGR will never pass a REAL emission test at the MOT. Also, it will pollute massively, which is unfair towards the environment.

Second, it will increase the fuel consumption by over 100% in town and by 40-50% on the motorway. I know this because my EGR valve was stuck on “close” position which is the same like removing the whole EGR. I noticed an increase of consumption right away, instead of driving 1200 Km with a tank full (62 litres) I only managed to drive 700 km (on a average of 8 l/100 km 35 mpg from an average of 56-60 mpg which I had when my EGR was working).

The purpose of the EGR is to lower the oxigen level in the inlet manifold in order to adjust the engine to be more efficient. Also, it will increase the temperature of the mixed fuel/air/smoke from the intake manifold, helping in combustion when the mix will reach to the pistons. On the other side, it will reduce the fuel consumption as 30% of the smoke still contains fuel due to the incomplete combustion, so the EGR will actually help the car to work better, to have more power and to be more efficient.
Also, the EGR will make your engine to last longer.

So, if you care about the money you spend on the fuel, if you want your car to have mor power and to last longer and if you care about your children and their future, stop removing your EGR from the engine. Whoever told you removing the EGR will improve the power of your engine is an ignorant or a person who doesn’t have a clue of the benefits of the EGR.

See less See more
#5 ·
Though it is not illegal to remove the EGR, it is illegal to use a vehicle on the road which does not comply with emissions standards. Removal of the EGR will most likely result in MOT failure due to the vehicle not being compliant.

Removal of the EGR is beneficial for a slight increase in the available performance and to prevent the build up of carbon deposits - which can result in a variety of engine codes, rough running and progressive faults with other components such as the DPF.

A blanking plate/delete may not be the best of the options out there, but it will certainly counteract these issues. A well maintained EGR will benefit from optimisation of EGR operation through remapping the ECU if replacing is not an option. This will result in reduced wear, better fuel economy and warm-up time, reduced emissions, smoother engine running and less run-on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.