BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, trying to find out whether anyone else has had a turbo failure after EGR cooler replacement. BMW saying it's not related and no goodwill. My 2 series broke down in March 2021 at a junction and almost went on fire. Smoke coming from the bonnet. It had been recalled but I didn't know (purchased second hand July 2020 from an independent car dealer). BMW garage said it's one of the worse cases they've seen (melted) and replaced it. 10 weeks later started hearing a whirring sound but no warning light. Long story short, car started losing power literally when I was driving. BMW transported it to their garage. Advised me the turbo has been condemned. BMW UK will not give goodwill as car outside service by 1700 miles (full BMW service history). I was aware I was on count down to service but not over it (during lock down wasn't driving much!).

Anyway my mechanic is saying the 2 must be connected. The turbo should have been looked at as part of BMWs checks. Lodged a complaint and got nowhere.

Feel so powerless. BMW have said I can get an independent check done but don't think that will help. I'm feeling very helpless. This happened over 3 months ago and I can't let it continue. Mechanic said to try BMW forums to see if others in same boat. Thanks.

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
742 Posts
Whats the age and mileage of the car, where did you buy from and what (if any) warranty did they offer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Late 2015, bought July 2020 it was a fleet car the mileage was 79554. (Also 2 series, sorry!) EGR replacement in March 2021 mileage was 83975. Warranty was 6 months. The car dealer advised me,

"The car was fully serviced and up to date as per the dash. Our process /rule is that we service a car if it is showing within 5000 miles on dash so the customer doesn’t have to do it within the first few months of ownership. If the dash count down shows less than 5000 miles, we service the car as required." Service history

07/2016 - 13662 - BMW
01/2017 - 24904 - BMW
05/2017 - 28836 - BMW
02/2018 - 47178 - BMW
11/2018 - 59573 - BMW
05/2019 - 68990 - BMW

BMW said . The current mileage on the car is 85,733 (May) with the EGR repair having been carried out at 83,975 (March). The current service countdown is showing that an engine oil service is overdue by 1,740 miles/3 months.

Taking their word about mileage, but it seems way out as it was a few months after the replacement that turbo failed and during lockdown and wasn't driving much at all. When we bought we went on holiday so did around 800 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im going through something very similar at the moment F10 EGR Recall Nightmare mines a 5 series and having loads of problems after BMW changed the EGR cooler.. they actually replaced the small turbo as well for some reason, it was never explained to me why or got my approval before doing it. Shes back in there at the moment with the large turbo not functioning at all (could be the wastegate or sensor issue though as still waiting for a diagnosis)....always fee like im not being told the truth and just "shut up and pay the bill" when i ask questions. genuently concidering moving to a different brand because of how ive been treated, even though i love the cars. Certainly wish i had never had the recall done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts