BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIABAS - IFH NOT FOUND when starting INPA - ADS Interface - Need INPA 3?

Hi,

I am trying to see if my INPA is set up correctly before buying an ADS interface. I have no trouble coding my OBD2 E90 with the same installation.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.
I have INPA version 5.0.6. I set the Interface to "ADS" instead of "STD:OBD" in EDIABAS/Bin/Ediabas.ini.

I noticed there are no other mentions of "ADS" in that file where it mentions interfaces further down.
I also noticed that there was no ADS folder or ADSSetup.exe in EDIABAS/Hardware so I copied the ADS folder into there from my INPA installation CD.

I ran ADSSetup.exe and it appeared to throw an error that it couldn't copy DirectNT.sys to system32/drivers so I copied it there manually and also copied it to syswow64/drivers as it's a 64bit machine.

Restarted the laptop, ran INPA and it throws the IFH NOT FOUND error message. Now I don't have any cables plugged in at the moment but I did try it with the OBD2 cable plugged in just so it had a COM1 port but I got the same error.

The INPA FAQ for the error says "The setting for the interface in the configuration file Ediabas.ini doesn’t exist.".

Do I need to install INPA 3 first or something?
If so, can someone send me the link to it? All I can find is INPA 5/6 and BMW standard tools.

Many thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

I think I have it working now. The IFH NOT FOUND/DirectNT.sys errors have gone away anyway!

What I did was install XP on a second partition so I have Windows 7 64bit on one for all my INPA 5.0.6 OBD2 coding and Windows XP 32bit on the other for INPA 4.4.7 ADS coding.

Haven't bothered to updated INPA on XP as the 4.4.7 version works for my purposes (E36 coding).

I did originally get the same issue again where INPA complains about DirectNT.sys after setting the interface to ADS. What I did to fix it was run OBDSetup.exe, then copy the DirectNT.sys from Hardware/ADS/ADS32/DirectNT.sys to Windows/system32/drivers/DirectNT.sys (overwrite existing), then double check the interface was set to ADS still in EDIABAS.ini and it all seemed to be working like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even on my 32-bit system (Win10), after copying DirectNT.sys into the System32 drivers' folder, I still get the "DirectNT.sys can't be opened" message in INPA.

Starting up just EDIABAS works.

p.s. it's interesting to see the DIRECTNT.ini file, has a different registry entry for START when running it through ADSSETUP.exe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
EDIABAS - IFH NOT FOUND when starting INPA - ADS Interface - Need INPA 3?
...I also noticed that there was no ADS folder or ADSSetup.exe in...
You are using a too new version of Ediabas. From v 7.x.x ADS support was dropped, hence the lack of ADS being mentioned in the ini file and no ADS folder under hardware.

All DirectNT.sys drivers are 32-bit and that why For an ADS setup, you need a 32-bit OS.

So copying the DirectNT.sys file to System32/Drivers under a 64-bit OS doesn’t work. The driver won’t be loaded, hence the error when you start INPA under 64-bit OS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to access API of EDIABAS using C#, the ifh handler is working when I am executing in Console window.
But i received an error ifh is not found, when i am trying to access from CANoe. ( I make C# dll application to load it to the CANoe). Does anyone have idea how to solve?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts