BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seriously Platinum BFuk Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

It took me a long time to get here. I am currently taking driving lessons with Chris Piper, perhaps the best-known instructor in Eastbourne. My test is planned for December. A great friend bought me driving lessons for my birthday in June - at my time of life (I'm 45!). Anyway, I'm totally loving my lessons and would like to buy a nice manual car to maintain my skills.

I started-out considering the Mini Cooper, nice and small for a novice to handle. But I have dogs, so I looked at the Ford Focus. Then I noticed the more glamorous Golf GT TDi - it seems to have an attractive blend of speed and economy. But if I have to wash, wax and maintain it, I want something which gives some pride of ownership. The 3-Series Touring looks ideal. Not unwieldy, but plenty of space for dogs. Fully-comp insurance, even on a 330i Touring, for me is a very reasonable £540 - no doubt the result of me being closer to pensioner than teenager, and that the last car crime in our village was about 6 months ago (when someone bashed the door mirrors off a Mazda).

After so many years as a pedestrian, I never thought I would ever be responsible for a car. Thankfully, this forum looks like a massive resource.

Steven

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Hi everyone!

It took me a long time to get here. I am currently taking driving lessons with Chris Piper, perhaps the best-known instructor in Eastbourne. My test is planned for December. A great friend bought me driving lessons for my birthday in June - at my time of life (I'm 45!). Anyway, I'm totally loving my lessons and would like to buy a nice manual car to maintain my skills.

I started-out considering the Mini Cooper, nice and small for a novice to handle. But I have dogs, so I looked at the Ford Focus. Then I noticed the more glamorous Golf GT TDi - it seems to have an attractive blend of speed and economy. But if I have to wash, wax and maintain it, I want something which gives some pride of ownership. The 3-Series Touring looks ideal. Not unwieldy, but plenty of space for dogs. Fully-comp insurance, even on a 330i Touring, for me is a very reasonable £540 - no doubt the result of me being closer to pensioner than teenager, and that the last car crime in our village was about 6 months ago (when someone bashed the door mirrors off a Mazda).

After so many years as a pedestrian, I never thought I would ever be responsible for a car. Thankfully, this forum looks like a massive resource.

Steven
Hello and welcome to the forum, good luck with your test:)

You cannot go wrong with a 3 series tourer IMO either E36, E46 or E91 are all good for shifting loads and dogs etc... My vote would be for the 330, although I would say that as I have had two now:D

Good luck in your search, if you need help and advice - you have come to the right place:thumbsup

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!

This forum is seriously busy! I only popped downstairs for a few minutes to feed my dogs and I came back to some replies already. Thanks, I feel really welcome.

Steven

·
Banned
52 Posts
welcome to the drivers forum,good luck mate what a xmas present that would be if you could pass your test and get a nice 330 touring for xmas,good luck,and keep us informed

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
By Eastbourne standards you are a Babe in Arms!!?? Plus you're younger then me!

They're not all 12 years old on here, only act like it!!

Welcome!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the club

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday I bought a July 2000 BMW 330i Touring. Titan silver / grey leather. The dealer has taken it away for a service and MoT.

So, after years of day-dreaming, I now know the identity of my first ever car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts