BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Last year my car decided to give up and run like a snail, took it to the garage and it was the cats that were apparently so bad they were making the car run badl. As i needed the car back quickly i was quoted £920 to have it decatted and remapped. I was in need of my car back quick and i dont know if this was a good or bad deal.

Anyhow, back to today, I dont like the noise the cars makes since the cats were took out and the smell. My MOT is due in june and i'm aware it will fail because its be decatted. I have been quoted by another garage to put 2 new cats in and he hasnt seen the car yet but im looking at £1500 plus...

Is this about right ? I'm forever paying out on this car and its getting frustrating.

Thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
£920 sounds expensive to me, £1,500 not so bad for two cats installed. Have you had more than one quote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thsi si the first quote that i have had so far. I will get another by the end of the week and update here. I'm like to avoid confrontation so i usualy go with first option always and i costs me.

·
Super Moderator
12,935 Posts
it's a 320i :)

ooh ooh my bad my diesel and wallet emptying fixation kicked in....

OP wot the feck were you thinking removing them to start with knowing it would be an MOT failure further on????

chances are they've fudged the after cat downstream lambda sensors and the ECU software regarding them during the remap too...potential major trouble and wallet emptying?

·
Vendor
3,996 Posts
You can always buy a set of good secondhand ones to fit to the car and do a software update to put the car back to standard
it will need testing after to see if every thing it correct as is sounds like your original cats broke up or melted to cause them to block up

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yep i had the cat fail on my old 328i...got a second hand one fitted by an Indy for £90 as was scrap and it lasted 5 years+ still going strong when i sold the car.

You may also need to determine why your cats failed as you dont want this to happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts