BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi each and all - I am in the process of rebuilding my engine as you all know - everything seems to be going fine - the machine shop checked my bores ( all good ) as expected - they just honed them - so still within spec 84mm - crankshaft checked - All good - the balance shafts were a cake walk to set I only needed the special tool to undo them and tignten them - polished the crank fitted new standard bearings with new bolts torqued to spec with assembly lube all good - all pistons cleaned side play good - checked the piston ring in the bore but there is not much of a gap - on the TIS it is rather confusing as it says the following:

1st groove
End clearance mm 0,20...0,30
Side clearance mm 0,13...0,17
2st groove
End clearance mm 0,30...0,45
Side clearance mm 0,06...0,10
3rd groove
End clearance mm can't be measured
Side clearance mm can't be measured

Most ring manufactures state that you take the width of the bore = 3.2 inch x 4 4/5 - so I am getting

.0012.8 "
.0014.4 "

Any advice on this - I dont need a problem down the line - a bit stuck with this as I need to know everything is good before I put in the pistons

Regards - Darren

·
Registered
4 Posts
you need to look up the piston manufacturer to get the ring gap in the bore
for example some are 4 inch bore so each inch first two rings would be 16 though 4 though per inch
oil ring may be slightly different say 20 though so 5 though per inch end gap spec sheet is what you need this is just a guid not a reference

1 - 2 of 2 Posts