BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E92 DTC/DSC Issue with a friends car.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AndyVR 
#1 ·
Trying to help a friend out with an issue he's got with his car. He's got a 320D E92 pre-LCI same as me and he had the Hydro unit go a while back. Well he's had that replaced and it all seemed good for a couple months. The last couple of weeks the cars been acting up again though. When driving it seems to think its skidding randomly and keeps engaging the ABS, making the car almost un-drivable. It'll do this for about 5-10 minutes and then just shut off the DTC/DSC completely and drive fine. I can't imagine the Hydro unit is acting up again this quickly and my best guess is a faulty wheel speed sensor causing the issue. As we have no idea which wheel he doesn't wanna have to buy all 4 or keep messing around taking one off and putting it back on unless we've ruled anything else out.

I've stuck ISTA-D on it and there's no codes thrown up from the DSC unit. It does have a couple of codes that seem unrelated though. The FRM unit is throwing up X14260 Terminal 30 as an error, and its also showing Preheating Control Unit missing in the DDE module. The FRM could be the brake light sensor being faulty and causing the braking? Don't know enough about car electronics to give a definitive answer on that though. The preheating control unit is to do with the glow plugs so seems unrelated, just needs a new module most likely. It also has a couple low battery faults but thats just because its been sitting there undriven since the problem.

Only other thing of note is if I put "Wheel sensor" in the text search in ISTA it shows a listing for front left/right and rear right, but no rear left. Could that indicate rear left is faulty, or just ISTA hasn't found a reference in its search? Anyone ever had a similar problem? Any help appreciated.

Also for reference the cars got about 110k miles on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds a pain. I'm not sure if the computer registers an 'error' if it activates ABS or DSC braking under the belief that it has done so 'legitimately'. When the wheel speed sensor went bad on mine, it registered an 'implausible wheel speed' error and threw up permanent christmas lights on the dashboard in relation to abs and dsc. So perhaps one has gone bad but the computer thinks it is sending out reliable signals?

#5 ·
On mine, I had DSC light flashing, power loss/braking issues for a while showing no error codes.

Finally using INPA, monitoring the wheel speeds while driving (get a passenger to do this obv!) highlighted the dodgy sensor or rear reluctor ring.

Just before I fixed it, it did finally give a wheel sensor error code.

It was a warped reluctor ring, the end of the sensor was worn away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.