BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just bought a 335d m sport coupe and am wondering if anyone knows of a way to fit a child seat in the centre of the rear seat -i.e. after sales kit somewhere to include middle seat belt etc.
cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
Was under the impression it is illegal to have a child seat in the middle??

Am I wrong!? I'll go have a hunt on google lol :confused

·
Registered
282 Posts
My rapid research shows I am wrong I think haha.... Can't find anything about rear seat, child seat law. I dreamt that one up.

Infact, they carried out a study in the USA and if you're in the rear middle seat, you have a 25% extra chance of surviving a serious crash than any other occupant!

Anyway, after all that, no I don't have an answer to your question haha!! :D Sorry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi All,
Just bought a 335d m sport coupe and am wondering if anyone knows of a way to fit a child seat in the centre of the rear seat -i.e. after sales kit somewhere to include middle seat belt etc.
cheers

Hi meinwales. I believe you can use the middle rear of your car for a child car seat as Nick said it is apparently safer however I think this counts more for newer cars that have over shoulder seat belts but im not 100% on that :confused

I have attached a site for you to have a read through :thumbsup http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/newsarticle0_18668_10751_-1_10001

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply, problem I have is if I can find a child seat and amenas of securing it over the rear console in the coupe. Have no problem in buying and getting a 3rd seat belt fitted, so am looking for an after sales kit or the where abouts of anything that would work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh I thought it was just a case of installing an additional seat belt in the middle rear of your car (providing this is possible) and fitting the car seat to that. I have looked again and it seems you can actually use a lap seat belt as well as the lap and shoulder one.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for but hope it helps a little :thumbsup

Please let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Please let us know how you get on :)
Yes, I second that!

I am setting an alarm for 6am to check the forum for any updates :rofl:rofl

Some child seats can use just the waist belt on its own, some have to use a full shoulder belt, but assuming the 335d coupe has neither?! Those seat belt installer people might be able to sort something, if not, give BMW a call.

Reactions: Mrs RYM

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that your car has a rear console like this???

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rear console E90/olaf2046/myBMW/RearConsoleLED45.jpg

If this is the case then your car is only a 4 seater (I thought all 3 series were 5 seaters :confused) If this is the case then I think you are not able to do as you wish LEGALLY without speaking with DVLA and finding out how to change your car from a 4 seater to a 5 seater. If you wish to persue this route then I think you will have to find a seat that has a complete rear bench seat and remove the console completely:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Okay, been doing a little research and came across another forum that has discussed this very issue. I don't believe there to be any conflicting interests between the forum and bimmerforums so I am going to post the link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25315

Look at post #3 Secondly, due to the center console in the back, you can't put the child seat in the safest spot of the car, which is the middle.

See how we like to assist our members, we will do everything within our powers to answer your questions, even if we don't know the answer and it means searching other forums:rofl

:thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi to All of you,

Thanks for the terrific response and links etc, like yourselves I've been looking into it and the console in the centre rear does seem to be a problem, was rather hoping it would be possible to fit a third inertia reel seat belt and place a booster seet over the console in the rear - with padding to protect the console of course. Seems to do this I will have to contact DVLA and go through the long winded process of changing the configuration of the car from 4 seats to 5 ... too much work and probably to no avail. But once again thanks for your terrific support - just reafirms my decision to buy the BMW. cheers Simon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.