BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have an issue with my 2007 E92 335i in that the ashtray in front of the gear stick is just that...an ashtray and has no power point/cigarette lighter in there and I really need a power socket there for my satnav. So I have purchased an ashtray with a lighter fitting inside. I was told that the wiring loom would be there and it would be a plug and play fix after removing the centre console. Well I removed the centre console and there is no wiring loom there :sarcastic Below is a photo of what I found. What other options do I have to fit the lighter and have it working? I really don't want to be driving around with a wire trailing into the power point in the armrest as it has to be kept open due to the plug on the wire being big and the wire gets crushed when the armrest is down.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup

IMG_20171104_131156.jpg

·
5,877 Posts
It wouldn't really be that hard to wire it up yourself.
The cig lighter only has two connections,one live and one earth.
Run a thick gauge live wire to the fusebox,the dealer will give you the fusebox connector you need.
You may have to remove glovebox and dismantle the fusebox holder to access the fuse slot you need.
You will see empty fuse slots that have only one connector,this is where you would put in your live connection.
Then put in a 30 amp fuse.
The connectors at the ashtray are standard spade connectors.
Then just earth the earth wire.

Reactions: 320Driver

·
Registered
845 Posts
There was another thread about this recently. I think it was Mike who pointed out that there is a hidden 12v socket under the passenger side glove box? I checked on mine and sure enough there is a hole there! So far I haven’t tried to plug anything into it but it certainly looks like a power point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information Edber, Ill look more closely at this method :thumbsup

There was another thread about this recently. I think it was Mike who pointed out that there is a hidden 12v socket under the passenger side glove box? I checked on mine and sure enough there is a hole there! So far I haven’t tried to plug anything into it but it certainly looks like a power point.
You're right Chris most have this socket under the glove box but sadly my one missed out on this feature. It's a real faf not having one up front.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It was indeed me and I use mine for the phone charger that I leave plugged in all the time.

I wonder how hard it would be to relocate the armrest socket to the ashtray?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts