BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, after some frustrating months and frequent visits to Sytner Coventry my car is back in the hands of Sytner Leicester due to persistent noises from the front axle. A facelift 325d it has now had (at 32k miles) pair front dampers (leaking oil) & a new lower steering column. These brought marginal relief but the car has now been diagnosed with rack knock so needs a new one (£1700). Its also having new headlight washers and a new door lock mech

It was an AUC so aside from the frustration and hassle it won't cost me anything, my concern is how many others have had racks replaced due to knock? Mine was noisy from 28,000 miles and so I fear the replacement might not last much longer. I also know that the F30 has a similar issue. Are all electric steering racks causing noise issues?

i'd be interested to hear your comments.

I think the topmounts are probably tired too given that the dampers were very short on oil but Sytner wont be able to spot that until the rack is ok

Not great for a car thats still only at 32,000 miles

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
875 Posts
I assume you've changed your drop links. They would be the first thing I would suspect for a front end noise...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you've changed your drop links. They would be the first thing I would suspect for a front end noise...
Hi, They've not suggested that as yet, although it was my first thought 4 months back...Once the rack has been changed i suspect it'll be a case of working through the remaining parts!

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all

Looks like it was the steering rack. So at 29k miles my car has had two front dampers, a Lower steering column and an entire steering rack assembly

Pretty rubbish BMW, my 4th car from you and this one is by far your worst!

Will the new rack last any longer......?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts