BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just joined the forum as I purchased an E92 325I Manual with 54k on Saturday. Checking out the car before I bought it, I didn't really notice this diesel like engine sound. As I got home I heard a diesel type of sound that might even be louder than a new type of diesels bmw has.

At first I thought it was just at idle so I dipped the clutch and the sound remained the same. This sound is still present when you're driving the car and it's really bugging me. I'm booking the car in with bmw asap but thought I'd ask for any advice on this issue.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube to hear the sound. http://youtu.be/Kiw2ZN0X-qc
I know there's various reasons e.g. Injectors, Hydraulic Valve Lifters, NOx Sensor but I was wondering if anyone who's had these problem would be able to tell me what it might be from my engine sound?

If you have any idea what is making this loud sound I'd really appreciate any info on it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
That is kinda chattery, although the N53 isn't as quiet as the older 6 cylinder petrol engines, possibly dues to it being direct injection.

Have a look on youtube for "N53 engine sound" there are lots of people asking the same question as you. This might be normal for this engine.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The noise is normal. It's caused by the piezo injectors (this engine is direct injection). Waste of time booking it in - they'll tell you it's normal noise. Time to close the bonnet and move on...

Reactions: mcbonio

·
Registered
286 Posts
Try running the car without the large engine cover on:eek,the cover is heavily insulated inside with foam to dampen the noise of the injectors

Like has been said the noise is normal

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a mate with one what he did was put a good fuel additive in the tank when he filled it up it worked but would come back at idle after a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts