BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know what to call them but in my 325 M Sport I have these arms that move the seatbelts to a reachable (maybe for an older driver) place when I close the door. Sometimes they catch and sometimes they don't - anyway... can I always make them catch or is it possible to turn of their function all together? Seem a little silly to me and look a bit cheap too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, yeah same on my 320D - they are a gimmick and daft as they do not always pass the seatbelt (due to the belt not being flat at rest).

If there was something which could make the belt more rigid so it didn't kink............

·
Registered
724 Posts
Strange... I wasn't expecting much from them but ours are bang on every time.

I suspect the easiest thing would be to pop the mechanism out of the rear door card and unplug them. They'd stay retracted that way. Doubt there's a specific fuse anywhere accessible and trying to code it out will be a ball ache... :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
My drivers side is the same on a 2008 car. It only catches the belt about 1 in 5 times.

Personally I think they are great when they work as its far easier to reach the belt, although I am only 5' 7" so sit forward compared to some.

I think its caused by the belt becoming more plyable over that area and possibly also a slight lack in tension over time.

I have read this can cured by ironing in some starch to stiffen the belt back up in that area, but this has to be re-applied over time. I am going to get some this weekend and try it. If it works, but does not last I am going to consider stiffening the belt with something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried placing a big paper clip to keep the belt more rigid at the point where the arm grabs the belt.

But it gets in the way of the buckle by the time it has unreeled itself prior to clunk-clicking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts