BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had the same experience as me....

2 rear tyres with otherwise good tread depth but worn to the canvas on inner edges. Much worrying about camber/toe and a £60 laser alignment (largely OK) - but then realised I'd been driving over a particular speed "cushion" twice a day and then recalled it had jagged edges.
Looked this up online and its all over the web like a rash!
Got new tyres and now go over them one wheel on and one off - not straddling them - tyres perfect so far.

These cushions are apparently designed be narrow enough to let buses and ambulances etc straddle them, whilst mere mortals have to bump over them. Most cars, mine anyway, have to run the tyres along the edge so the inner corners take all the load and get worn away.

Some people have tried to get answers from Dept of Transport but most have been stonewalled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe - but surely not as if a 45 deg chamfer had been machined onto the tyre edge.
I've replaced nothing since and the tyres are wearing perfectly (if there can be such a thing!), so I'm convinced it's the speed cushions - until something changes my mind :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
once had an mgzt cdti(bmw 320d) engine in thoise,anyway one rear tyre was badly worn like yours,,fitted a new(part worn tyre) 4 weeks later the tyre was toast,,i forget what bush it was but had to do both at same time and a pig of a job(garage did it) bushes were weird for rear tho i remember in the metal housing they came in..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334310712259 just a pic of one,think that was them

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
The humps got a lot of blame for tyre damage some years ago and this is the first time i have seen it now for about 7 or 8 years.
We drive over 8 humps back and forth daily and could be twice some days and we straddle them like you but have no adverse tyre wear.
As said bushes could be the problem also where did you get it checked out as this latest kit is only as good as the guy operating it.
Get some recommendations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts