BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been trying to track down an oil leak on my recently acquired E91 (325).
The seller replaced the rocker gasket in a bid to sort, but it's not worked.

Last weekend I got under the car and cleaned everything up as I wasn't sure if the oil was left over from the previous attempt.
Yesterday, I repeated the exercise and found a fair amount of fresh oil on the under tray and on the areas I had previously cleaned.

It's definitely coming from the exhaust side of the engine and I am pretty sure either from behind the water pump or the thing above the water pump.

So a couple of questions -
1. Is it possible for a leak to develop from behind/around the water pump?
2. what is the thing above the water pump? (circled in red on the picture below) Is it the oil pump?
BMW-N52_exhaust side.jpg

TIA :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
The item you've circled is the air con condenser/pump. All the oil leaks I've ever read about come from higher up and, sad to say, my No. 1 suspect would be the valve cover gasket (even though the previous owner said he'd replaced it). My guess is the VCG is leaking down the exhaust side of the engine. The only other possibilty is the VANOS filters (there are two just above the air con pump) but I have never heard of them leaking...

Reactions: System-G

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil!

The rocker gasket has definitely been changed. It's brand new. It was replaced by a garage, but that's not to say it wasn't done properly.

It still has warranty on it, so I'll get them to check it again.

It needs to go back for a couple of other things too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts