BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I am new to forum, hoping someone here can help or has a better thinking hat than me. I am a bmw fan, have a 2008 535d and 2006 320d. And an EP91 starlet...thats another story.
2006 E91 320d M47 280kms and owned by me since 82kms. Great car, serviced on the button all through the years.
Hopped into it one morning last october,cranked it up and drove 125kms and parked it for 30mins. Hopped back in, started it up and then it died before i put it in gear. I managed to get it going after another bit of cranking and kept it going in traffic with a bit of heel and toe as it was inclined to die on idle. Got 5kms to a fuel station and topped up tank from qtr to max. Got it started again after a bit of cranking, managed to move 20 mtrs and then it stopped. Recovery truck to get it home and its been in the shed since then as a little project (bought a 2014 A6 avant to replace it...hate it, but thats another story).
Fuel pump in tank, removed and cleaned, this works fine.
Fuel filter only had 15thou kms on it but replaced it, just in case.
HP fuel pump, removed and tested (inclusive of flow ctrl valve) at bosch agent, all perfect.
Injectors removed and tested/cleaned at bosch agent, all perfect.
Got a spare M47 engine and swapped out rail control valve (rear), and pressure sensor. No faults, but worth a shot to chang these.
Brother in law was a bmw mechanic years ago, so he has been invaluable plus his cousin is a current top bmw tech, so we have been bothering him a little for a steer through all of this.
We plugged in a new snapon diagnostics tool and have residual fault 4A63 EWS tampered with. I suspect this fault has surfaced due to endless cranking over past couple of months and flat battery (i have been back and forth to this job, not been priority). Tried to sync with DDE but it fails everytime.
Car cranks, and cranks, but actual rail pressure stays at zero.
I dont have any leaks, or any other faults. Pulled return line off before it goes back into LHS tank, diesel flow is high, but then that may be normal.
There are no other faults showing. Original diagnostics we ran in october indicated low rail pressure. I did find a small leak at rail, i am not sure if this was an original fault or if it was resultant of me fiddlung with rail when removing injectors etc (as i said i have been at this job intermittently).
The only other notable thing that has changed since car has been parked is the key sometimes does not release as easily from ignition when pressed, it is a bit sticky...
Anyways, any pointers on next steps.
I think myself, that i need a more capable diagostics tool to dig a bit deeper, or at least to guide the remaining diagnostics checks to find the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
EWS tampering code is showing lost sync and causing missing rail pressure. What software did you use to try DDE-EWS sync?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a loan of a new snapon diagnostics tool. Decent tool, has the function to align EWS but, failed. I wish i understood how it prevents the rail pressure building, e.g. diverts all fuel back return lines?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had a loan of a new snapon diagnostics tool. Decent tool, has the function to align EWS but, failed. I wish i understood how it prevents the rail pressure building, e.g. diverts all fuel back return lines?
Also, to confirm. Had 12.15V in battery. To be sure we tried with other car running and jumps connected to give 14V+

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
With proper tools like DIS or ISTA the sync would work or at least it would show why it doesn't work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Once the DDE-EWS has synced you still need the correct software to bleed the rail, an air filled rail will show the pressure sensor no pressure and close the high pressure pump unless you use the correct software to over ride the rail pressure sensor. Loosening a injector pipe won’t do. You need DIS or lots of easy start, your brother in law should know anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once the DDE-EWS has synced you still need the correct software to bleed the rail, an air filled rail will show the pressure sensor no pressure and close the high pressure pump unless you use the correct software to over ride the rail pressure sensor. Loosening a injector pipe won’t do. You need DIS or lots of easy start, your brother in law should know anyway.
Thanks for advise. I like to get an understanding of how it works, maybe you can help. Does air not bleed back return line when cranking as diesel fills? It might take more cranking, but at least pressure would build? What is happening on cranking when EWS & DDE are not synced? Are both control valves bleeding diesel back to tank preventing rail pressure building? Thanks again for advise.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could be potentially be fighting two problems here, even with a fully primed fuel system if the dde and ews are out of sync the car wont run so first you need to follow clavurions advice and use the proper tools to confirm sync, once thats confirmed you have the second problem of an empty fuel rail and injector pipes, if there is no pressure detected at the fuel rail then the high pressure pump wont fill. Common rail diesels ate not the same as mechanical injection systems. So its like a self reciprocating problem, no pressure no pump, no pump no pressure. You need the right software to put the system into self prime. If all you had done was loosen an injector pipe then you might be lucky enough to get it away with a lot of cranking and some easy start. But as you have had the complete system stripped and rebuilt its never gonna start just by cranking. Its 2 quite simple tasks if you have the correct software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could be potentially be fighting two problems here, even with a fully primed fuel system if the dde and ews are out of sync the car wont run so first you need to follow clavurions advice and use the proper tools to confirm sync, once thats confirmed you have the second problem of an empty fuel rail and injector pipes, if there is no pressure detected at the fuel rail then the high pressure pump wont fill. Common rail diesels ate not the same as mechanical injection systems. So its like a self reciprocating problem, no pressure no pump, no pump no pressure. You need the right software to put the system into self prime. If all you had done was loosen an injector pipe then you might be lucky enough to get it away with a lot of cranking and some easy start. But as you have had the complete system stripped and rebuilt its never gonna start just by cranking. Its 2 quite simple tasks if you have the correct software.
Thats very interesting, ok its on to the appropriate software now. Thanks folks, good to have solid direction on next steps. Due to age of car, and value, i am limiting the investment, hence not sending down to local dealer with a boot full of cash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Folks. I am new to forum, hoping someone here can help or has a better thinking hat than me. I am a bmw fan, have a 2008 535d and 2006 320d. And an EP91 starlet...thats another story.
2006 E91 320d M47 280kms and owned by me since 82kms. Great car, serviced on the button all through the years.
Hopped into it one morning last october,cranked it up and drove 125kms and parked it for 30mins. Hopped back in, started it up and then it died before i put it in gear. I managed to get it going after another bit of cranking and kept it going in traffic with a bit of heel and toe as it was inclined to die on idle. Got 5kms to a fuel station and topped up tank from qtr to max. Got it started again after a bit of cranking, managed to move 20 mtrs and then it stopped. Recovery truck to get it home and its been in the shed since then as a little project (bought a 2014 A6 avant to replace it...hate it, but thats another story)
Fuel pump in tank, removed and cleaned, this works fine.
Fuel filter only had 15thou kms on it but replaced it, just in case.
HP fuel pump, removed and tested (inclusive of flow ctrl valve) at bosch agent, all perfect.
Injectors removed and tested/cleaned at bosch agent, all perfect.
Got a spare M47 engine and swapped out rail control valve (rear), and pressure sensor. No faults, but worth a shot to chang these.
Brother in law was a bmw mechanic years ago, so he has been invaluable plus his cousin is a current top bmw tech, so we have been bothering him a little for a steer through all of this.
We plugged in a new snapon diagnostics tool and have residual fault 4A63 EWS tampered with. I suspect this fault has surfaced due to endless cranking over past couple of months and flat battery (i have been back and forth to this job, not been priority). Tried to sync with DDE but it fails everytime.
Car cranks, and cranks, but actual rail pressure stays at zero.
I dont have any leaks, or any other faults. Pulled return line off before it goes back into LHS tank, diesel flow is high, but then that may be normal.
There are no other faults showing. Original diagnostics we ran in october indicated low rail pressure. I did find a small leak at rail, i am not sure if this was an original fault or if it was resultant of me fiddlung with rail when removing injectors etc (as i said i have been at this job intermittently).
The only other notable thing that has changed since car has been parked is the key sometimes does not release as easily from ignition when pressed, it is a bit sticky...
Anyways, any pointers on next steps.
I think myself, that i need a more capable diagostics tool to dig a bit deeper, or at least to guide the remaining diagnostics checks to find the culprit.
Hi, you can not align ews-dde on E9x, just do on E6x.if you check by ISTA-D and call up dde can find any parameters.
However if you need more help call me at WhatsApp +989128945810

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi folks. I have the car back running again and would like to thank all of you that offered help.
This is an interesting one and may be of help to others in future.
There is a very good independent auto electrician in Wexford town near where I live so I got the car delivered to him. He aligned the dde and ews. I went to collect the car and as I was driving out his gate the car stopped again so I left it with him to investigate further.
He called the next day to let me know the ecu had water damage, which appeared to be quite old water damage that was probably progressive over a long period. He sent on the photos of ecu, it was bad. He found a spare and programmed it into the car. I drove the car home tonight and all seems to be good again. I had found water at bottom of the ecu compartment during my investigations but it was not near the ecu and the ecu, I thought seemed to be in good shape....however I did not disconnect the ecu and open the case to look at the circuit board. The guy mentioned the ecu boxes on the bmw cars are prone to taking in and holding water so he drilled some holes....I haven’t checked where he drilled the holes, but I will be checking the E60 535d at the weekend for similar to be sure I don’t suffer same in that machine.
Thanks again for your input folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts