BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E91 320D 2008, low beam issue

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  thanatoid 
#1 ·
Error codes:
a8ab - Abblendlicht rechts defekt
a8aa Abblendlicht links defekt
I have replaced both bulbs, and one ballast, same issue is still here. what could the issue be? Frm module?

Filmed a video how my low beam is acting

-Malde

#3 ·
I know the cover for both headlights has broken clips, but should that really make this issue?
I messured voltage, i got 12.75v to low beams when ignition is on, and both low beams works great in ignition mode.
But when i start the car i only get 10.5v to the low beams, and both lights dies now.

#4 ·
There is always the chance with BMW that it is a problem with whichever module runs the lights!

It does sound like a poor connection, mind, as thanatoid said. I'd check voltages and voltage drops along the lighting wiring loom as far as possible. I'd also make sure the battery is correct for the car and that it's properly charged and not losing charge too quickly.

#5 ·
Once upon a time it'd be the rectifier on the side of an alternator, not allowing a full voltage output capable of running the car.
There's a display for a ciggy lighter - I had one when I thought the battery was behaving strangely, shows voltage ignition off, when engine running - so a 12V battery can show something like 14.5 with engine running and a healthy alternator, maybe more.
Was the one I got, went to daughter when her car battery started to go on way out, temporary, about 2 years ago :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.