BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Basically about a year ago my 2007 E90 320D starting leaking from the passenger front door, and making the foot-well soaking wet! Everything I have tried has not worked, and i continues to leak, and honestly it's driving me CRAZY! It's currently chucking it down with rain, and I can't wait to go back to my car for a swim...

Below is everything I have tried. In order of oldest to newest.
1. Re-sealed it with butyl mastic. (Didn't work at all)
2. Purchased brand new vapor barrier and Genuine BMW 3M Tape, removed and replaced all old tape with new. (Still leaked)
3. Took the door card off > jet washed the door to see the leak > saw it flooding in at the bottom of the barrier > used more tape on that location... (Water still bursts through that spot)
4. Took the barrier off AGAIN. Resealed it with MORE tape, adding extra layers to the leaking parts (STILL LEAKING)

It's actually driving me mad. Me can physically see the water coming in from the vapor varrier with the door card off, but no matter how much we "secure" it, the was still finds a way through...

We've poked holes in the caps at the bottom of the door (black circle things) to hope that helps, but it hasn't.

Could it potentially be a problem with the window seal trim? Letting TOO much water in?

Any ideas? I'm honestly baffled about this now. I have absolutely no clue how to proceed, and I can't let the car carry on getting soaking!

All help is appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you saying the water is still leaking past the Butyl tape in between the door and the membrane? I have done all my car doors with new Butyl tape and there is no way water will get past the Butyl tape.

Did you remove every trace of the old tape and de-grease the door? It would seem you are saying the new tape you have used is coming un-stuck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are you sure it's from the door. There are compartments under the bonnet behind the scuttle trims that fill up with water and then it leaks into the car. This is the most common cause of interior water leaks at the front of the car. It's not a big job to strip the panels back and then unblock the drain hole.
Cheers
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts