BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 320ed: Recently the boot light started playing up - only working when the boot was half open/closed. Now the boot is locked and won't open. The rest of the central locking works fine however. There's no key slot so I can't open the boot manually, cannot disconnect the battery to reset its state (as obviously it's in the boot)! Tried manually locking and unlocking the system using the door key in the drivers door but no luck.

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
1,112 Posts
2011 320ed: Recently the boot light started playing up - only working when the boot was half open/closed. Now the boot is locked and won't open. The rest of the central locking works fine however. There's no key slot so I can't open the boot manually, cannot disconnect the battery to reset its state (as obviously it's in the boot)! Tried manually locking and unlocking the system using the door key in the drivers door but no luck.

Any suggestions please?
Hello, the only way I can think of getting inside your boot, is to remove your back seats for you to climb in to get to the battery. Hopefully someone else will have a better option without having to dismantle the seat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, the only way I can think of getting inside your boot, is to remove your back seats for you to climb in to get to the battery. Hopefully someone else will have a better option without having to dismantle the seat.
Thanks for the suggestion - but to remove the back seats you need access to the back of the back seats. And once in there I'm not sure how I would disengage the lock

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion - but to remove the back seats you need access to the back of the back seats. And once in there I'm not sure how I would disengage the lock
Nah, been here with this one before on mine, the culprit is the wiring that's in the umbilical when the boot is open (normally one of the earth wires which tend to be thicker and less flexible). Anyway same situation as you I don't have folding seats and couldn't be bothered with the hassle so put it into dealer to fix (£175). They had to remove the back seat so there is a way - I think some of the internal side bits need to come off as well to get to hidden bolts. Someone then crawled in, removed the boot liner cover and manually pulled the cable to release the lock (or popped it by working the mechanism). Then it was a matter of replacing the wire that had broke; on mine as the dealer did it they removed from end to end the broken wire and replaced the full length, but if you do it your self you can solder in a several inch extension and push the joins once heat shrunk out the way either side of the umbilical.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, been here with this one before on mine, the culprit is the wiring that's in the umbilical when the boot is open (normally one of the earth wires which tend to be thicker and less flexible). Anyway same situation as you I don't have folding seats and couldn't be bothered with the hassle so put it into dealer to fix (£175). They had to remove the back seat so there is a way - I think some of the internal side bits need to come off as well to get to hidden bolts. Someone then crawled in, removed the boot liner cover and manually pulled the cable to release the lock (or popped it by working the mechanism). Then it was a matter of replacing the wire that had broke; on mine as the dealer did it they removed from end to end the broken wire and replaced the full length, but if you do it your self you can solder in a several inch extension and push the joins once heat shrunk out the way either side of the umbilical.
Thanks - I'm certainly not putting in the stealers at £175! I know the back seat has securing bolts at the bottom, but the top ideally needs to be removed once inside the boot. Nonetheless, I'll have a go at squeezing it out somehow. What a pita!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have just read on a German e90 Forum that,

„If you take the number plate lights out you can get to the cables for the lock and apply power direct to open the lock!„

No idea if it is true, but might be worth a punt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just read on a German e90 Forum that,

„If you take the number plate lights out you can get to the cables for the lock and apply power direct to open the lock!„

No idea if it is true, but might be worth a punt.
Cheers - I've just done a bit more research and it appears this is quite a common problem. I've yet to check my theory, but suspect the wiring loom in the boot is to fault (a fog light out warning, light out warning, and boot warning light all came on at the same time). Apparently you can pop off the rubber boot switch cover and earth the brown wire to release the boot. Will be giving it a go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheers - I've just done a bit more research and it appears this is quite a common problem. I've yet to check my theory, but suspect the wiring loom in the boot is to fault (a fog light out warning, light out warning, and boot warning light all came on at the same time). Apparently you can pop off the rubber boot switch cover and earth the brown wire to release the boot. Will be giving it a go.
Any luck with this mate? I've just had the same problem. Drilled a hole between the middle seat in the back where the handrest comes down to see if I can pull the emergency release pulley, but I can't see it or I don't have one. Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Any luck with this mate? I've just had the same problem. Drilled a hole between the middle seat in the back where the handrest comes down to see if I can pull the emergency release pulley, but I can't see it or I don't have one. Appreciate any advice.
Unfortunately the emergency release resides under the boot lid lining. The cable end is there with a little (less than 1cm) metal ending. It sits central to the lid and can be pulled with a set of pliers; of course you still have to get into boot and remove the lining 🤷‍♂️. On USA cars it actually pops through the liner and has a proper triangular handle as it has to by law I think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me know if you’re still struggling with this as I sorted it,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apologies, I’ve only just seen your message. My fix worked which is as follows: The wiring loom in the boot is to fault (a fog light out warning, light out warning, and boot warning light all came on at the same time). You can pop off the rubber boot switch cover and earth the brown wire to release the boot. This worked for me. Let me know if it doesn’t solve your problem and I’ll try and think of something else

1 - 13 of 13 Posts