BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with a 2007 320d e90. A few weeks ago on the motorway the traction control light started flashing and I lost power and couldn't go faster than 45mph or so. I stopped and checked tyre pressures (which were fine) and then drove off again and everything was okay. Then about 2 weeks later the same thing happened, this time I turned off the traction control system (DSC button on dash) and everything was fine. Since then it happens after I've been driving for a few minutes and the only thing I can do is hit the DSC switch. That mostly cures the issue but I still see the traction control light flash occasionally and on accelerating I sometimes have a loss of power and I can hear a ticking from the rear that sounds like something mechanical engaging / disengaging.

I left the car into a local mechanic who plugged in a machine for a fault code and said it reported an ABS issue and that I needed an ABS sensor and ring at nearly £1,000. I'm not sure what to do, I know little about car mechanics. If this will fix it then it's fair enough but I'm wary that they're suggesting replacing ABS stuff when I never saw any sort ABS warning light on the dash or any warning light beyond the traction control light flashing intermittently.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the costs of reluctor rings and sensors seemed to be much lower by comparison when I Googled which I thought was odd, I assumed I was looking at the wrong thing. The garage just said it was a BMW part and it was expensive. Is this something where BMW themselves would always change the shaft too or would they do only the ring/sensor at a more reasonable price? I'm a bit stuck because the ring/sensor might be reasonably priced but it's not something I could do myself.

They are probably trying to sell you the whole drive shaft but the reluctor ring on the shaft can be changed separately. CLICK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts