BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm looking after a BMW 325d 2010/60 plate (while owner is abroad now for some 3 years), has been sat on the drive for about 3 years now, used to drive it on weekends where possible, but after a prolonged period of not being driven, it wouldn't start. A friend said he knew a mechanic and would come round to look at it. The mechanic tried to jump start, and after much revving the donor car managed to start it. The mechanic said the battery is nearly dead and needs changing and he took the car to change the battery. He changed the battery and said you've got all these lights on - ABS, DSC, brake etc. The mechanic is adamant that those lights were present when he jump started the car and not after changing the battery.

I'm reading that certain things need to be done after changing a battery - which he hasn't done.

There were no lights the last time I drove the car before the battery went flat.

I didn't want to cause any problems between my friend and his mechanic, I didn't take it any further.

I've been reading around the internet and this forum, and this seems to be quite a common problem and is either the ABS/Speed sensor and/or the reluctor ring. So given that it has been standing for quite a while, this may have corroded the reluctor ring along with moisture.

I took it to one garage who put it through diagnostics and said the computer is reporting an error with both rear ABS sensors. He said to get a pair of ABS sensors and go from there. He didn't even attempt to inspect the abs sensor, even though he had the car up on the ramp - as I was also getting the car serviced - oil/oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.

I had read/seen that sometime the sensor just needs a clean - electrical cleaning fluid or similar - he said he would then charge me double if the cleaning didn't work and the second time round to replace the ABS sensor - so wasn't really happy with his "helpfulness" and he also made out that changing the ABS sensor wasn't a straightforward job. Charged me £20.

Having watched countless youtube vids - it's just one screw to take out to check the state of the abs sensor and could also rotate the hub to inspect the reluctor ring through the abs sensor hole.

Another friend recommended another garage, I took it there, he also just put it through his computer and cleared down all the codes, took it for a drive. He came back and said, not a big problem, but will need it in so we can inspect it, he wouldn't say what the problem is, just it's around the wiring. Only when I pressed him, I said is it the abs sensor or reluctor ring. He then said, in his opinion, it's the reluctor ring, reason being, that when he cleared down the codes and started the engine, no lights came on, only when he took it for a drive, did the lights come on - he said this suggested it is a mechanical one and not an electric fault. If the ABS/DSC/brake lights came on, upon engine start, he said this would indicate an electrical fault and point to the abs sensor.

This garage also didn't inspect the abs sensor and just gave me a print out of the diagnostics which had the following codes: Charged me £20
AOB5, 3F62, 5DC3, 5DB3, 5DE1, 93FB

He said to order reluctor rings off the internet and he will fit them. Cost £80 labour both sides.

To be honest, both garages don't fill with me confidence - you'd think, given the common nature of the problem and how easy it is to inspect the abs sensor they would have at least done this.

So wondering what I should do next, just bite the bullet and order the abs sensor and reluctor ring and just give it to the second garage and get it over and done with.

Or take it to another garage with the sole intention of getting the abs sensor looked and if possible cleaned and check the reluctor ring - seen some vids using compressed air to clean any muck of the reluctor ring.

Another post I've read, suggests if reluctor ring has risen due to moisture and now scoring the abs sensor, rather than replacing reluctor ring and hence having to remove drive shaft etc, can simply use a washer (M5) to seat the abs sensor slightly higher. So thinking is this worth a try.

Garages fill me with dread, I've so many bad experiences with them and then leaving the car with them all day - is just pure anxiety - you've no idea what kind of job they are going to do.

Over to you for your experienced advice.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm looking after a BMW 325d 2010/60 plate (while owner is abroad now for some 3 years), has been sat on the drive for about 3 years now, used to drive it on weekends where possible,
Wow i could only wish that i was given a 2010 325d to look after for 3 years with all expenses paid too.
I would have sold my own car and used this as daily drive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A lot of theorising about reluctor rings, but i'm pretty sure that a 325 doesn't have them.

From what I've read before, six cylinder models have a different type of sensor, and a Hall sensor type pickup in the wheel bearing, instead of a reluctor ring.

Six error codes sounds a lot just for two faulty ABS sensors - couldn't the garage tell you what the codes meant? the fault could lie somewhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of theorising about reluctor rings, but i'm pretty sure that a 325 doesn't have them.

From what I've read before, six cylinder models have a different type of sensor, and a Hall sensor type pickup in the wheel bearing, instead of a reluctor ring.

Six error codes sounds a lot just for two faulty ABS sensors - couldn't the garage tell you what the codes meant? the fault could lie somewhere else.
Ah man, don't make this even more complicated, how can I verify this. I've just ordered an ABS sensor and ring.
Yes, the garage gave me a printout of the codes which are:

AOB5 CAS: Fault, road speed signal
3F62 DDE: Roadspeed signal via CAN ECM
5DC3 DSC: Wheel speed sensor: plausibility, rear right
5DB3 DSC: Wheel speed sensor: plausibility, rear left
5DE1 DSC: Brake -pad wear: plausability, rear axle
93FB No message (vehicle speed) from DSC, ACSM receiver /MR55, DSC trasmitter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts