BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another ecu which was tuned by another tuner using way to much fuel and and boost
Also missed a lot of the main limiters which hold back power

Customer brought his car in for us to remap it
Testing it on the dyno we found it was not standard and making 291bhp and 450ft (green line)

On looking at the file
found way too much fuel and boost was being added and many of the limiters that hold back power where missed
Also the ecu had been opened and the casing was bent which we straitened

We put the ecu back to standard and the car made 249bhp with just over 400ft of torque (blue line)

After out remap the car made 324bhp with just over 500ft (extra 75bhp plus 100ft of torque red line) this was using 1/2 the amount of fuel and less boost that the other tuners remap

We also set the egr to closed all the time and the way we do it the engine will still regen

We also found that this was not the original ecu for the car and had been changed at so point with a second hand ecu so we corrected the cars data in the ecu as well

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f37/e91-330d-bw-chiptuning-remap-t497537/#/topics/497537

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus and Cas units
BMW Keys made and cut same day
Correction of secondhand Engine ECUs Cas and key sets than have been fitted to your car by someone before(key set from a different car we can blank and reprogrammed to your car correctly to fix the problems it caused)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal

Unit 8-9 alpha ind est
clayton Rd
Hayes
middlesex
ub31bb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice save. It's amazing what some of these guys are selling without knowing anything about actual maps.
I've seen well recommended tuners without dynos do this often as they will just reuse a tuned file from another car or they bring the ecu to me to repair when they damaged it then as it I can tune it after I've repaired the ecu and tell me they don't write maps just buy them in when they make there customers believe they write there own lol

Repairing ecus and other tuners Remaps on the dyno is how I know what other tuners do to take shortcuts or fob off there customers

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Interesting stuff!

How do you know what is a safe fuel & boost pressure for these engines? Particularly for long term use I'm thinking.
Also, for manuals, what's the safe long term limit for the DMF? (Btw, I just bought a 2010 330d E90 yesterday).

Annoyingly, I discovered for sure that my new car has been remapped (by Performance Direct of Barnsley), when I've been trying to avoid buying a remapped car!
When I test drove it, I just put the performance differences down to the fact that as standard these 330d's have ~60 hp & nearly 100 lb/ft more than my old e46 330d 2.9 ltr, but on the drive down I began to wonder if it was more than that.....
Anyway, when I got home I discovered an invoice by Performance direct for a remap! Grrr...

So, I'd like my e90 'demapped' lol, as in returned to a standard map, as well as concerns about long term reliability (I usually keep my cars for ~5yrs, & I'm likely to do at least 55-60k miles in that time), today I noticed that the tail pipes were black & when I booted it down the dual carriageway it chucked out a small cloud of black smoke! (engine had plenty of time to warm up, although I can't check the engine temp atm through the hidden menu, as after an attempt to last night, I now get a yellow '!' mark! I've yet to Google about that).
So I'm pretty sure it's overfuelling, under full throttle at least, & not doing my DPF etc any good!

How much would it cost me to have a standard map installed on my 2010 330d? (N57 D30).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hmmm...
I have no skin in this game but this thread reads very much like "Don't go to other tuners because they're shit, use us instead"
I mean it seves your ends very well to try and create a sense that none of your competition know what they are doing ?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
same thing on my e46 5 years ago,,thought id bought a standard car,,guy came to map it and found a map which was in his words,,im surprised the fuel pump is still good,,and the bar pressure to injectors etc was way too high,,he had to go away and get the original bmw map and install that,,then put his magic on it,,sold car on friday and it still drove perfect after 60 k miles i had it,,no smke to write home about and pulled great with great power torque etc,,,my e90 which i ahev now is a bit too high in the torque department 510 ftlbs..698 nm manual box pre lci and 305 bhp,,it still drives great but if i floor it when say in fifth doing 60,,then i get a rumble from drivetrain,,but i can drive it just making sure not to throw all the torque in at low revs and high gear..just bought a 335d and getting that sorted in a few weeks..gearbox service/remap etc etc

·
5,853 Posts
I don't understand all this egr deleting malarkey.
The egr serves a purpose.

·
Administrator
11,466 Posts
Hmmm...
I have no skin in this game but this thread reads very much like "Don't go to other tuners because they're shit, use us instead"
I mean it seves your ends very well to try and create a sense that none of your competition know what they are doing ?
More to do with the shear amount of cowboys and charlatans that are now working in this sector and that you should do your homework before you chose your tuner

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
same thing on my e46 5 years ago,,thought id bought a standard car,,guy came to map it and found a map which was in his words,,im surprised the fuel pump is still good,,and the bar pressure to injectors etc was way too high,,he had to go away and get the original bmw map and install that,,then put his magic on it,,sold car on friday and it still drove perfect after 60 k miles i had it,,no smke to write home about and pulled great with great power torque etc,,,my e90 which i ahev now is a bit too high in the torque department 510 ftlbs..698 nm manual box pre lci and 305 bhp,,it still drives great but if i floor it when say in fifth doing 60,,then i get a rumble from drivetrain,,but i can drive it just making sure not to throw all the torque in at low revs and high gear..just bought a 335d and getting that sorted in a few weeks..gearbox service/remap etc etc
Yikes! That's probably the DMF hitting it's end stops! I'd probably have it dialled down a bit ;).
But then again I probably wouldn't go for a remap at all unless someone could show me documented proof that the increased fuel & boost pressures are within the manufacturers tolerances for the FI system & turbo, & that the DMF & gearbox can take the extra torque ;).

Re EGR
Good - Cuts down Nox emissions (a strong green house gas & toxic)
Bad - Increases PM emissions from combustion (but cleaned by DPF where fitted), slowly clogs up the inlet manifold with soot/oil mist mixture, an extra thing to go wrong! ;). Burning some of the soot twice makes the carbon particles much harder & a little larger, as some of this gets into the engine oil they can penetrate the thin oil film between the cam lobes & followers, causing additional wear.

On my 330d e46 I pulled off the vacuum pipe & plugged it, then cleaned the Inlet manifold, when I looked through the disabled EGR valve some 40-60k later it was still clean in there :).
I probably won't disable the EGR on my e90, as 1. it's harder, 2. I'm slightly more environmentally conscious than I was ;), I've resigned myself to taking off the inlet manifold (or at least checking it) & cleaning it every 50k or so. It was taken off by the garage I bought it from recently as part of the work to cure the light throttle misfire it had at ~1400 RPM (had a new EGR valve in the end).

Anyway, I'd like to hear back from Bwchiptune on how much a 'demapp' would cost me for my e90, bearing in mind it would just be installing a std map (so no R&D costs to make back ;)) & that seeing as I'm in the trade (a mechanic for a Suzuki dealer) I'm hoping for a little discount :D

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yikes! That's probably the DMF hitting it's end stops! I'd probably have it dialled down a bit ;).
But then again I probably wouldn't go for a remap at all unless someone could show me documented proof that the increased fuel & boost pressures are within the manufacturers tolerances for the FI system & turbo, & that the DMF & gearbox can take the extra torque ;).

Re EGR
Good - Cuts down Nox emissions (a strong green house gas & toxic)
Bad - Increases PM emissions, slowly clogs up the inlet manifold with soot/oil mist mixture, an extra thing to go wrong! ;). Burning some of the soot twice makes the carbon particles much harder & little larger, as some of this gets into the engine oil they can penetrate the thin oil film between the cam lobes & followers, causing additional wear.

On my 330d e46 I pulled off the vacuum pipe & plugged it, then cleaned the Inlet manifold, when I looked through the disabled EGR valve some 40-60k later it was still clean in there :).
I probably won't disable the EGR on my e90, as 1. it's harder, 2. I'm slightly more environmentally conscious than I was ;), I've resigned myself to taking off the inlet manifold (or at least checking it) & cleaning it every 50k or so. It was taken off by the garage I bought it from recently as part of the work to cure the light throttle misfire it had at ~1400 RPM (had a new EGR valve in the end).

Anyway, I'd like to hear back from Bwchiptune on how much a 'demapp' would cost me for my e90, bearing in mind it would just be installing a std map (so no R&D costs to make back ;)) & that seeing as I'm in the trade (a mechanic for a Suzuki dealer) I'm hoping for a little discount :D
nope,,the rumbe is from the prop doughnut,,i know the feeling

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Interesting stuff!

How do you know what is a safe fuel & boost pressure for these engines? Particularly for long term use I'm thinking.
Also, for manuals, what's the safe long term limit for the DMF? (Btw, I just bought a 2010 330d E90 yesterday).

Annoyingly, I discovered for sure that my new car has been remapped (by Performance Direct of Barnsley), when I've been trying to avoid buying a remapped car!
When I test drove it, I just put the performance differences down to the fact that as standard these 330d's have ~60 hp & nearly 100 lb/ft more than my old e46 330d 2.9 ltr, but on the drive down I began to wonder if it was more than that.....
Anyway, when I got home I discovered an invoice by Performance direct for a remap! Grrr...

So, I'd like my e90 'demapped' lol, as in returned to a standard map, as well as concerns about long term reliability (I usually keep my cars for ~5yrs, & I'm likely to do at least 55-60k miles in that time), today I noticed that the tail pipes were black & when I booted it down the dual carriageway it chucked out a small cloud of black smoke! (engine had plenty of time to warm up, although I can't check the engine temp atm through the hidden menu, as after an attempt to last night, I now get a yellow '!' mark! I've yet to Google about that).
So I'm pretty sure it's overfuelling, under full throttle at least, & not doing my DPF etc any good!

How much would it cost me to have a standard map installed on my 2010 330d? (N57 D30).

I've been tuning BMWs for many years as well as flying around the world tuning them and fixing BMWs which have had problems that have been caused by the other tuners remap on the car

There is no need to over fuel over boost over pressure rise the fuel pressure and to run way too much torque that the drive line can't handle
Also I can't stand seeing smokey cars

On cars that have been tuned in a bad way I find I can always get more power and torque using a lot less fuel and boost that the other tuners file that was on the car

To put your car back to standard would cost £95

But it all depends what the other tuner has done i.e. Did they make the remap from your cars original read of the ecu or did they use the read from another car(which I've see many times before and I'm sure a good few of the forum members that have come to me for my self to correct can comment on)

I would advise a few things

1st I will not flash it back to standard without 1st looking at what they have put on your car and taking a back up of your cars ecu
This is to make sure that I can always recover the ecu and which way I'm going to use to put your car back the standard

If I just went to update your ecus software using my main dealer equipment and your ecu has the wrong data on it it may error on writing and brick the ecu (doing this has an extra charge and depends if I need to connect directly to the ecu which can cost £50-£95)

Also to see if diagnostics codes or the EGR or DPF software has been tampered with or removed

2nd doing a diagnostics and other checks when dyno testing
Like DPF tests to see if it's been remove before and to see if there car has any problems

3rd which is an option but it's only if your interested if you like to know what your car was making power and torque wise as well if the torque output is too much for your drive line
Or if you are looking for my self to retune your car to improve it over the other tuners car(which I will always flash back to standard 1st and dyno each stage the tuners,standard and my remap)

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm...

I get customers that come to me from every where because I've got over 30 years as a BMW technician,

I own the oldest tuning tools company in the uk

I repair other tuners Remaps or the ecu they have opened that are causing problems or that have damaged the ecu,

I repair and make refurbished BMW ecus,
I have a honest dyno that doesn't over read as well as being able to test and prove what's causing the the problem with the car or the remap that the other tuner made

If you search on the forums you will find loads of the cars I've fixed which are just a small amount that I do

But when I see cars every week from the same tuners or by the file supplier to different tuners (or should I say flue flashers) on cars which are causing problems even some of the well know respected tuners

So do some research on what I do 1st

I also recommend other tuners that do a good job

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More to do with the shear amount of cowboys and charlatans that are now working in this sector and that you should do your homework before you chose your tuner
You would not believe the amount of people who call me everyday that have a problems after a remap by someone claiming they write there own tunes

Then spent £500-£3000 trying to fix there cars at different garages or with the tuner who remapped it in the 1st place

Only to find a post I've replied to then looking at there car for them and proving what was causing the problems in the 1st place which 99% was the other tuners remap

In some cases we have been asked to fit all the old parts back to the car that the other garage or tuner change to prove them parts never needed to be changed in the 1st place

I've even gone in to main dealers to repair cars were they have thrown parts at cars and missed the basic things

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I've been tuning BMWs for many years as well as flying around the world tuning them and fixing BMWs which have had problems that have been caused by the other tuners remap on the car

There is no need to over fuel over boost over pressure rise the fuel pressure and to run way too much torque that the drive line can't handle
Also I can't stand seeing smokey cars

On cars that have been tuned in a bad way I find I can always get more power and torque using a lot less fuel and boost that the other tuners file that was on the car

To put your car back to standard would cost £95

But it all depends what the other tuner has done i.e. Did they make the remap from your cars original read of the ecu or did they use the read from another car(which I've see many times before and I'm sure a good few of the forum members that have come to me for my self to correct can comment on)

I would advise a few things

1st I will not flash it back to standard without 1st looking at what they have put on your car and taking a back up of your cars ecu
This is to make sure that I can always recover the ecu and which way I'm going to use to put your car back the standard

If I just went to update your ecus software using my main dealer equipment and your ecu has the wrong data on it it may error on writing and brick the ecu (doing this has an extra charge and depends if I need to connect directly to the ecu which can cost £50-£95)

Also to see if diagnostics codes or the EGR or DPF software has been tampered with or removed

2nd doing a diagnostics and other checks when dyno testing
Like DPF tests to see if it's been remove before and to see if there car has any problems

3rd which is an option but it's only if your interested if you like to know what your car was making power and torque wise as well if the torque output is too much for your drive line
Or if you are looking for my self to retune your car to improve it over the other tuners car(which I will always flash back to standard 1st and dyno each stage the tuners,standard and my remap)

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB
Hi Jason (I assume)
Thanks for your reply (& the phone conversation, which I unfortunately had to curtail as I'd run out of lunch break! ;)).

I will probably be booking it in for you guys to work on, & I'll be going for the full 3 options (despite what I said the other day!), so that'll be backing up my cars current ECU map, 'demapping' it to the standard map, & with a before & after dyno test (curiosity got the better of me;)).
When would you be able to do it?

I'm still in 2 minds atm as to whether I have you guys remap my car for more power afterwards (I've got the taste for the torque this engine can make!), I definitely don't want the fuel pressure run over the standard max (1800 Bar I believe), nor do I want the turbo boosting beyond it's max std either (for long term reliability reasons), unless you can show me manufactures docs saying they can take more! :).
That said, you did say on the phone that even with those limitations you could get more power out of it, so I could be convinced ;).
Although I'm not clear on how you could do that, you mentioned 'torque limiters', although (as I mentioned) I am a car tech/mechanic myself, I don't get involved with mapping/remapping (so far), the closest I get to that is simply updating ECMs & other modules, which is pretty much just a 'click next' exercise! Lol. (I do do diagnostics though). Anyway, my point is I don't know what you are referring to there, do you simply mean software torque limitations? If so I can see how that (artificially) flat torque curve of my engine's standard output is raised in that RPM range, but I can't see how across the board.
And would any increase in power increase Nox significantly? (I haven't decided how much/if I'm fussed by that yet ;)). (I appreciate that disabling the EGR valve definitely would!).
What's the safe torque limit for my 330d's drivetrain?

(Oh & btw, would I be able to sit with ya at least some of the time to see how it's done & see the status of my car? Curosity,+ I normally work on my own car of course)

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Something I've forgotten to mention here (but which I did in both phone calls), is that from a cold start it hunts a bit with an erratic misfire & puts out some white smoke with the distinct smell of vaporised diesel (I say this with years of experience working with diesels), it's not condensation (predominately at least) as outside temps were 15-16C at the time. I made a video of this which I'll upload to youtube in a bit. On driving it during this stage it is a little rough & hesitates on initial acceleration at low revs (upto about 1500 RPM). Happens for the 1st few minutes or so.
Video here
Pardon the swearing 3s in! :embarrassed, I thought the dash had lost the engine temp when I'd started it.

If it weren't for the potentially dodgy remap I'd say that I have a dodgy injector (bad spray pattern or dribbling) :frown , but that remap throws in a load of unknown variables. I will be hooking my car up to my works Snap on diagnostics tomorrow to see what I can see, but I don't know how well it reads e90s.

Regarding bringing my car over to you guys, I haven't set a date yet with my work, but I'm pretty sure it won't be 2/10.
Oh I've decided that I'll stick with the standard map until the cold running problem is sorted, & I've confirmed it's sorted with a few stone cold starts & runs.
After that, well maybe :D, depending what I find out about remapping ;).

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When it's down we can have a look at it
By what you where saying on the phone as to what it is doing
I would suspect the remap and they have removed the dpf as in gutted it and not adjusted the mapping to suit what been done which I see often
Or the problem why the dpf was removed in the 1st place has not need fixed ether

This is another reason why I prefer to take a back up of the ecu ,do I diagnostics check any test I think that will be needed and test the car before and after on the dyno before we put the car back to standard

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
sound advice there...wish you were closer to me,,ive been in contact with "respected"ex bmw tech,,dean winlow..dw motorworks in blaydon tyne and wear,,he will be doing a gearbox service/swirl removal/vac lines all replaced/breather hose as i just want it replaced,,also a remap ..anyone used this guy? his website and facebbok look good,,ive been on the phone to him twice,,hes bust at the moment moving to a new location in throckley tyne and wear,,anyway he sounds like he knows his stuff and looks after a lot of customers m5 cars and the like...DWMotorworks – DWMotorworks is an independent car repair service from a BMW/MINI trained German car and Lexus specialist.

·
Vendor
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would advise anyone who wants to get there car remapped not rely on Fb recommendations

Also you need to find out where the person is buying his tuned files from

As you know how many cars a week I retune or fix due the remap problems and I can normally tell who's made the remap

If you need your car remapped I can do it on a dyno in new castle for you

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

1 - 20 of 38 Posts