BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have owned two BMW's so far in my life and my dad previously owned two (E46 M3 Coupe) before, hence my interest ! I owned an E46 M3 Convertible as my first BMW around 3 years ago, it was the facelift MY04 with the LED clusters etc. and it was a lovely car, apart from it being a convertible! After my dad owned the coupe and I bought the soft top, it showed a real difference between handling ! The latest BMW I owned was a 120D Sport, which I kept for over 50k miles and loved it really, although the MPG it returned was quite poor in comparison to other 2 litre diesels eg. A3, Golf, Leon.

I am now looking to return to a BMW, I do a fair amount of driving, around 500-800 miles a week and need something a little more economical than my car ( Vauxhall Astra VXR ), but I still like the idea of a bit of pace/torque behind my right foot when I need it. It looks like the E90 330d will fill the void, however my budget is limited to just £10k !

I am looking around, and for £10k the mileage on available 330d's tend to be over 100,000. Is there anything I should worry about for it having more than 100k? I have had it drilled into me from day one that any car with 100k miles is just going to go wrong.

Also, how long will a 330d last for? 100k, 150k 200k ?! Any idea?

Or is it worth going for a 320d and getting a remap and enjoying a little more MPG but not as quick?

Thanks in advance guys for any answers !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Diesels tend to last a lot longer than petrols provided the servicing has been carried out religiously using the correct oils etc. I'm on my 7th diesel and have taken all bar two to well over the hundred thousand mile mark. In fact my current car, 2000 E46 320d had nearly 150000 on it when I bought it. The engine has been the least of my worries and pulls sweet as a nut.

So go through the service history of any prospective purchase with a fine tooth comb. High mileage motorway cars tend to be the best as they have spent a lot of their life at the correct temperature and steady speeds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Modern diesels that have been well maintained are good for a lot more than 100k. More like 200k easy and more for some models. The key is the service history and in particular engine oil and filter changes using decent oil. High mileage recent cars could actually be in better mechanical condition than a low mileage example that has chugged around town at <2,000 rpm.
Look for one that has been serviced at 15k (max) intervals.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Post above are excellent:thumbsup the longevity of these engines really comes down to servicing and the treatment/type of driving they get. Oh and having the swirlflaps removed.
For the type of driving your doing (guessing lots of motorways) the 330d will lap it up and will use bugger all more fuel than a 320d in real driving. Guarantee if you test drive a 330d you won't think twice about going for it over a 320d.
My e46 330d has close to 158000 on the clock now and runs beautifully.

·
Registered
66 Posts
158k is just about run in :)
We have a merc diesel in the family with nearly 100k more than that and it runs like a dream. All original engine and transmission just regular 6k oil changes.
I would think a high mileage 330d would do 250k easily with regular oil changes and ATF changes on the auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts